Why are goalies so cheap?

According to FIFA 16

FIFA 16 PLAYER RATINGS - TOP 20 GOALKEEPERS

These are 20 best keepers you want serving as the last line of defense in goal.

20. JASPER CILLESSEN - AJAX AMSTERDAM (THE NETHERLANDS)
image_14.img.jpg

19. FERNANDO MUSLERA - GALATASARAY (TURKEY)
image_15.img.jpg

18. SALVATORE SIRIGU - PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN (FRANCE)
image_16.img.jpg

17. YANN SOMMER - BORUSSIA MÖNCHENGLADBACH (GERMANY)
image_17.img.jpg

16. MARC-ANDRÉ TER STEGEN - FC BARCELONA (SPAIN)
image_18.img.jpg

15. ASMIR BEGOVIĆ - CHELSEA FC (ENGLAND)
image_9.img.jpg

14. STÉPHANE RUFFIER - SAINT-ÉTIENNE (FRANCE)
image_10.img.jpg

13. DIEGO ALVES - VALENCIA CF (SPAIN)
image_11.img.jpg

12. CLAUDIO BRAVO - FC BARCELONA (SPAIN)
image_12.img.jpg

11. JOE HART - MANCHESTER CITY (ENGLAND)
image_13.img.jpg

10. STEVE MANDANDA - OLYMPIQUE DE MARSEILLE (FRANCE)
image_4.img.jpg

9. SAMIR HANDANOVIČ - INTER MILAN (ITALY)
image_5.img.jpg

8. IKER CASILLAS - FC PORTO (PORTUGAL)
image_6.img.jpg

7. GIANLUIGI BUFFON - JUVENTUS (ITALY)
image_7.img.jpg

6. HUGO LLORIS - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR (ENGLAND)
image_8.img.jpg

5. BERND LENO - BAYER LEVERKUSEN (GERMANY)
image_3.img.jpg

4. PETR ČECH - ARSENAL (ENGLAND)
image_2.img.jpg

3. THIBAUT COURTOIS - CHELSEA FC (ENGLAND)
image_1.img.jpg

2. DAVID DE GEA - MANCHESTER UNITED (ENGLAND)
image_0.img.jpg

1. MANUEL NEUER - FC BAYERN MÜNCHEN (GERMANY)
image.img.jpg

We should have gone nuts deep for Neuer but even then he probably wouldn't want to leave unless pushed by Bayern.

We'll never know but would they have accepted 70M and then they could have moved for Leno on the cheap?

I see your point. Im not sure why they don't go for more myself.

GK's have the ability to win you games just like a striker can. They are less of a gamble when it comes to injuries because they're not involved in the action as much, they have the longest careers out of any player, and in our new system they are absolutely crucial in the way our defence works. I genuinely believe if Barcelona had asked for £50m for Bravo (a player Pep absolutely requires), then we would have still felt the need to be interested, no matter of the price.

Hart is 29? For the England number 1, who has champions league experience and cup winning experience on his CV, we should be looking at £40m minimum. It's almost not relevant if he's the best GK in the world, or 20th best. Other teams need to pay the HG premium like were always forced to.

It's the least important position. Watch any MOTD and ask yourself if you would expect a better goalkeeper to have saved the shot every time someone scores. I reckon it'd be over 80% that no goalkeeper could reasonably be expected to prevent the goal. How often do we hear 'the keeper had no chance'?

This time last year the pundits were falling over themselves to tell us Petr Cech was the player who could win Arsenal the title. Of course he didn't because he's just a goalkeeper and powerless to influence most of the game.

If your outside 10 are doing well the keeper stands watching. If the outside 10 are shit then the keeper won't make them champions.

The difference between the best goalkeeper and the 10th best is negligible. The difference between the best striker and the 10th is huge. Hence the fee.

We should have gone nuts deep for Neuer but even then he probably wouldn't want to leave unless pushed by Bayern.

We'll never know but would they have accepted 70M and then they could have moved for Leno on the cheap?

No - they would not. He has a "Not for Sale"-tag.

About the FIFA Ranking - it favours the EPL-goalies even if the most of them aren't even working internationally. I do not see de Gea this high either. He is a very good shotstopper - but I do not see that he does have much influence on the game or on the organization of his defense.

It's the least important position. Watch any MOTD and ask yourself if you would expect a better goalkeeper to have saved the shot every time someone scores. I reckon it'd be over 80% that no goalkeeper could reasonably be expected to prevent the goal. How often do we hear 'the keeper had no chance'?

This time last year the pundits were falling over themselves to tell us Petr Cech was the player who could win Arsenal the title. Of course he didn't because he's just a goalkeeper and powerless to influence most of the game.

If your outside 10 are doing well the keeper stands watching. If the outside 10 are shit then the keeper won't make them champions.

The difference between the best goalkeeper and the 10th best is negligible. The difference between the best striker and the 10th is huge. Hence the fee.

A goalies position can stop a goal. While it may look like a routine save another goalie may struggle. I argued with a Liverpool fan about Mingolet I said he would cost them a title and he did when they had that good run under Rodgers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.