Why are Muslims not speaking out against terrorism?

I've thought for a long time that the Sun should be an exception to the freedom of the press, it's a magazine for starters not a newspaper.
My Nan reads that piece of trash. Ironically she came to The UK as a refugee many years ago. My aunt still lives at home with my Nan and last week said Islam should be wiped out, on Facebook. She said anyone who disagreed could delete her. For the sake of family unity I bit my cyber tongue.

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 14h14 hours ago
Guardian editorial on the Sun: 'The market for Islamophobia is booming; there is no need to lower the price' http://gu.com/p/4egxp/stw

View summary
7 retweets4 likes

Dunt's one of the best political commentators out there as he's not part of the establishment. Some of you would benefit from more rounded reading rather than regurgitating self-serving tabloid propaganda.

Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 14h14 hours ago
Guardian editorial on the Sun: 'The market for Islamophobia is booming; there is no need to lower the price' http://gu.com/p/4egxp/stw

View summary
7 retweets4 likes

Dunt's one of the best political commentators out there as he's not part of the establishment. Some of you would benefit from more rounded reading rather than regurgitating self-serving tabloid propaganda.

I wouldn't read the sun if my life depended on it but how do you propose i point out the idiocy, bias and downright anti Muslim stance of the most popular red top in the country without 'regurgitating' that shit?

I wouldn't read the sun if my life depended on it but how do you propose i point out the idiocy, bias and downright anti Muslim stance of the most popular red top in the country without 'regurgitating' that shit?
It was a comment not aimed at you. It was more of a general point. That's why I didn't make it a response to anyone else. Does bold text mean you are shouting at me? Ouch!

Saw a front page of the sun the other day that read; 'One in five Muslims sympathise with IS'
It could just as easily have been; 'Four out of five Muslims don't sympathise with IS' but that wouldn't suit their agenda too well.

What does 'sympathise with IS' actually mean?

Does it mean 'think that IS are justified in beheading innocent civilians and posting it on the internet?' because if that is what it means, I think the true figure is significantly lower than 1 in 5. Like one in about 50,000.

Or does it mean 'think that IS are perfectly entitled to want to create a muslim state governed by the principles of Sharia law, but think the way they are attempting to bring it about is evil and abhorrent'?

This is an interesting read from someone who helped conduct the poll that was misused by The Sun

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-conducted-the-muslim-poll-the-sun-jihadi-sympathy

A couple of extracts:

The script was reductive and often patronising. One question asked whether the interviewee thought that: a) British Muslims are not doing enough to integrate into British society, b) British Muslims are doing enough to integrate into British society, or c) it is not important whether British Muslims integrate into British society. A man I spoke to responded to this question with irritation and confusion: "What do you mean? What about when non-Muslims in Britain are hostile towards us? Is there a question about that?"
None of the people I polled who responded to the question with the 'some sympathy'answer supported jihadis. One woman gave me thoughtful, considered answers to every question. She thought that David Cameron would probably be right to bomb Syria, and that Muslims did have a responsibility to condemn terrorist attacks carried out in the name of Islam. But she also had some sympathy with young British Muslims who joined fighters in Syria. "They're brainwashed, I feel sorry for them," she said. And so I ticked the box, "I have some sympathy for young British Muslims who go to join fighters in Syria."

Read the full piece.

I read the Sun from time to time. As long as you know what you're buying there's nothing specifically wrong with any newspaper. They all have their innate bias to them, and all attempt to appeal to a different audience. The Sun is no more or less reliable than the Guardian who seem to have actually got a reputation for this despite dodgy journalistic standards at times

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.