Why are we not clinical?

madden150

Time and again this season and annoyingly against the stronger sides we have seemingly controlled the possession, controlled the tempo, played better football BUT have either missed key chances or not created enough to kill teams off. It was the same today, playing great in the first half but not being able to capitalise on our dominance. Arsenal like others grew in confidence as the game progressed, realising we just weren't creating enough chances.

Is this psychological or is this team just lacking something going forward? Personally I can see what PEPs trying to implement but a lot of the play going forward is either too slow or just very predictable.
Any thoughts?

Today it wasn't even about not taking our chances, we barely made any chances. Didn't look like we wanted to make them. Passed backwards instead.

We're 6th in the league in chance conversion rate, above Spurs and United. Not as bad as some think, it's just that we're seeing a lot more chances created than we used to have so that we physically see more missed.

It's not good enough mind, it's just that our style of play visually exacerbates the problem.

I think it's partly down to poor recruitment and Peps philosophy of controlling the midfield at all costs.

Years ago when the side moved from playing two upfront I noted, like many others, we may struggle for goals as the supporting players like Silva, Nasri, Navas and now Sterling are not natural goal scorers. Sadly you can now add KDB to that list.

These players are fantastic as allowing us to dominate a game but are neither not ruthless enough when finishing or not the type of players to create additional players in the box.

Case in point being the Barca match tonight. When Messi scored Barca had five players in the box I am not sure I have seen that all season at City except at set pieces.

It's why a player like Deli Ali would be ideal for us rather than another Silva, KDB. For the goal threat but also for the competitiveness he has within his game.

Today it wasn't even about not taking our chances, we barely made any chances. Didn't look like we wanted to make them. Passed backwards instead.

I could be wrong but I keep thinking the wing backs are a big problem. Clichy played well defensively today but if Pep was to bring a couple of offensively minded wing backs in I think it would make a huge difference. Whether it was Navas or Clichy today, you just knew the final ball or cross was going to be poor.

I dont think there's a great cohesion between Aguero and our midfielders,there's often a large gap between midfield and attack with Aguero playing more as an individual.It showed the difference when Jesus was on the field,movement and work rate improved,we looked to have a better understanding,and we looked far more threatening as a unit.
In short,our blend isn't quite right.

I could be wrong but I keep thinking the wing backs are a big problem. Clichy played well defensively today but if Pep was to bring a couple of offensively minded wing backs in I think it would make a huge difference. Whether it was Navas or Clichy today, you just knew the final ball or cross was going to be poor.

Agree these 2 are a massive weak link and hopefully we get the required level of player we need because if we dont this summer I will be worried about leaking goals next season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.