Why are we not clinical?

It's not bad for a young player, but we definitely need them to step it up next season if we're going to win the league. They should be scoring every other game really (which to be fair, Sane has been doing this year). They are almost into double figures in all competitions, but in the league, they've only scored 5 and 6 respectively. This season we're the joint 4th top scorers. Given the system we play, being top scorers is an absolute minimum.

We scored 102 goals last time we won the league. So far this season, we're on 63. Both seasons, we had 16 different goalscorers, but in 2013-14, six players scored 7 or more league goals. This season, only Aguero has managed that. We're hugely reliant on him to score goals, which kinda backs up the idea that he's often the only option for a player looking to set up a goal. But it also possibly backs up the idea that he's not the best at bringing others into the game. He doesn't have a single assist this season, for example, which is unusual for a striker. Behind them, we've got Silva, Toure and De Bruyne, none of which have contributed enough goals this year. Silva isn't exactly a goalscorer, but he's certainly capable of getting close to double figures. You can kind of overlook De Bruyne's lack of goals given his 13 assists, but he's shown he's capable of arriving at the correct time, so I'd hope for around 10 from him too. And hopefully Gundogan is a fairly regular goalscorer too, as he seemed to before his injury.
Also hopefully 2 full backs who can create and occasionally get on the score sheet. As for KDB, i think we should expect a lot more goals from him given his quality. I know he gets a lot of assists, but for me he isn't his old self at the moment.

Also hopefully 2 full backs who can create and occasionally get on the score sheet. As for KDB, i think we should expect a lot more goals from him given his quality. I know he gets a lot of assists, but for me he isn't his old self at the moment.
KDB may be playing exactly how the manager has asked him to play so it's hard to criticize without knowing the facts. He certainly isn't the same player we saw at the start of the season.

KDB may be playing exactly how the manager has asked him to play so it's hard to criticize without knowing the facts. He certainly isn't the same player we saw at the start of the season.
I thought yesterday when Silva went off he would shine in that central role, but again never really stamped his mark on the game. Like you say, may be doing exactly what pep wants him to do though.

Just seen that Messi goal from last night. Besides him there were four other Barca players in the box.

Have a look at my post on the first page I make exactly the same point about the Messi goal.

All our midfielders want to stand on the edge of the box, wait to pick up the ball and recycle back to the wings, where the winger again has only one player in the middle. Silva bizarrely seems to be the supporting player with licence to get furthest forward but his finishing is incredibly bad.

Like Willis says it's a real conundrum as you appreciate the quality the likes of Silva, KDB in relation to building the play. However based on goal output do we look at another player who may provide more goal threat but may result in less control of the ball? Deli Alli would be the perfect choice but sadly their is no chance of signing him.

Personally I expect Sterling position to be under threat and Jesus (recognised striker) playing out wide to provide the additional goals. Similar to Villa/Henry at Barca.

We don't have enough top quality goalscorers in the side , It's a big big problem because the likes of Kev and Raheem and to a lesser degree Sane simply are not good enough in front of goal , Sergio for all his detractors of late has virtually carried this club for the past two seasons and replacing Sergio with Jesus isn't necessarily the answer to our goal scoring problems , opposition teams will simply learn how to counteract him.

We don't have a midfielder who chips in with 6-8 goals a season either , we look like a team of weaklings, Chelsea , Spurs , United players look far more robust and fitter than us , Willian would look fantastic in our side , box to box , rapid and knows where the net is.

We simply don't have clinical players- and if we do need to buy the likes of Sanchez & Mbappe to the club then what does that say about Sterling , Sane , Aguero - or even Kev for that matter.

The whole fabric of the team looks all over the show , mard arses.

We do, he's just been injured most of the season...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.