Why are we playing the Burnley cup game in Wigan?

Just off the East lancs,in Leigh......

great venue,proper handy for us Salford Blues:-)<br /><br />-- 31 Mar 2014 15:57 --<br /><br />For info
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/breaking-news-manchester-citys-brilliant-u21-team-to-play-cup-semi-final-at-leigh-sports-village-tomorrow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/bre ... -tomorrow/</a>

Don't let anybody from Leigh hear you call it Wigan, they only share a borough. Calling them wigan is like saying Sunderland is Newcastle. Suppose it's at the sports village because its a great venue, attendances are usually in the region of 1000, and its only 10 miles away. With the rivalry between Leigh and Wigan, the area is made up of city, united, and bolton fans, so it makes sense that teams like United and now city regularly play there. Its for great for the town.

I think the venue had been mentioned awhile ago surely?

Hmm, maybe not. I may have mixed my posts up.

We played Blackburn there too maybe their eds sides share that ground only like us playing at Hyde really

yorks blue said:
We played Blackburn there too maybe their eds sides share that ground only like us playing at Hyde really

This is it. Blackburn's kids play there as a standard and I think Burnley have just moved in. United's kids have played there on occasion as well.

As FI said, it's literally right off the East Lancs.

Damocles said:
yorks blue said:

This is it. Blackburn's kids play there as a standard and I think Burnley have just moved in. United's kids have played there on occasion as well.

As FI said, it's literally right off the East Lancs.
You're right about Blackburn and United, but City are the home side for this game...

City were so enamoured with Leigh Sports Village’s famed facilities and atmosphere, they asked if they could hold the fixture with Burnley at the stadium. “We were only too happy to help,” said Chief Executive Simon Toon. “The reason some of the region’s biggest clubs like to play their U21 home games here is that we are able to offer players, staff and supporters a big-match experience in a state-of-the-art stadium. These aren’t training ground exercises, they’re exciting, high-stakes games full of great skill and entertainment.

Like I said in my previous post it makes sense considering the facilities and the fact that Leigh has a large city fanbase. It's also handy for us in the Salford areas, find it far easier to get to Leigh than I do Hyde.

Probably because of the state of the Hyde pitch which is in a very bad way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.