Why can't we score?

He's been flying but, sorry, he definitely does not have more end product than the others. He's got, what, 5 goals in the 4 months he's been flying? That's not significant end product. He's got fewer assists than Sterling in the same period who allegedly lacks it.

He's exciting, he's promising, but he's not got reliable end product.
2 months. The arsenal game was 3 months ago, and he missed about a month after that due to an injury he picked up in that game.

Of course professional players need shooting practice. Why do golfers spend hours on the range or snooker players at the table.

Many could , for example, practice shooting with their weaker foot?
No. Just no. You can't compare a golf put or snooker pot with football shooting. You're rarely afforded the chance to shoot the ball into an empty net in football, and don't have the luxury of play being stopped whilst you take your shot. Until the games of golf and snooker allow obstacles to be thrown around the table/green whilst taking a shot, any such comparison will be pointless.

No. Just no. You can't compare a golf put or snooker pot with football shooting. You're rarely afforded the chance to shoot the ball into an empty net in football, and don't have the luxury of play being stopped whilst you take your shot. Until the games of golf and snooker allow obstacles to be thrown around the table/green whilst taking a shot, any such comparison will be pointless.

And yet Beckham spent hours perfecting his free kick technique.

Is taking a free kick or a penalty or a corner in a football match not the same kind of 'static' situation as hitting a 5 iron off a fairway?

Pep has a water polo coach in his team at the Etihad and often references other sports (particularly basket ball) so perhaps there is more overlap between sports than you care to admit.

Silva being THE worst culprit. I swear to god there must be 50 people on Bluemoon who can stick the ball in the back of the net better than he can. Genius everywhere on the pitch apart from when in front of goal and then he turns to shite. I mean look at that "effort" yesterday, where yet again he failed to even hit the target. The goal he scored Middlesborough was very nearly a fuck up as he shanked his shot from 6 yards and nearly passed it to Guzan. He's ridiculously inept.

The strange thing is that, amongst the dross, he's actually scored some very good goals. Blackpool, Hull, West Ham, BMG come immediately to mind and none of those goals looked like flukes.

@TonyM you're entitled to your opinion, but, frankly, it's absolutely insane.

I'm sorry, I literally provided statistics that contradict the anecdotal evidence you have produced from yesterday alone.

No, it's not true that our problem is we "try to walk the ball in". We make more efforts from within and outside the 16 yard box than many teams, Liverpool included, we simply haven't been as clinical as they have.

39% of all shots attempted by City this season have been from outside the box. Only 8% have been inside the 6 yard box. Meanwhile, we average 15 shots per game yet only 5 per game are on target and far less end up in a goal. If you honestly think we aren't scoring because we are "trying to walk the ball in", well, you're wrong.

I'm sorry, if you literally look back over highlights (mancitygoalz on Instagram is a very quick way to do this) you'll see evidence that our goals are mostly coming from in and around the 6-yard box right now. An huge amount of our goals in 2017 are from inside and around the 6-yard box.

I questioned that perhaps there's an over emphasis on passing the ball into the net. Personally, I just want to see a couple of screamers banged in the top corner before the end of the season.

Expecting Sergio to score a hat trick every game and then blaming him when he doesn't.

The strange thing is that, amongst the dross, he's actually scored some very good goals. Blackpool, Hull, West Ham, BMG come immediately to mind and none of those goals looked like flukes.

Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Which was the one where everyone was cooing about his composure taking a touch to control the ball right in front of their keeper. When in fact, it was the wrong choice (again) and he nearly fucked it up, but got away with it.

Look, I love the guy - perhaps the best ever player to play for us, certainly one of them. It's just so frustrating that his incredible quality eludes him when a goal scoring chance arises. If he applied the same level of genius to goalscoring that he demonstrates on the rest of the pitch, he'd bag 30 a year. If simply "ok", he'd get 15. But he turns into Bernado Corradi. So frustrating.

The season we scored over 100 league goals we had 6 from centre halves, 20 from Toure, 9 from Negredo and 16 from Dzeko. They weren't all headers but we seem to have lost this as an regular option.
Are you allowed to score from a header? I didn't know that was an option.

The Toure and KDB goals are ones we are missing the most. Many of those were from distance. Plus, no other striker besides Serge once Jesus went down. It's really not that hard to see why there is a shortfall. Fixing it on the other hand...

Looking at the skills sessions that were on stadia TV at half time I noted that the players are all aiming for the bottom and top corners of the goals.
Perhaps they should go for the middle so that when they shank/slice it in match pressure conditions it goes in rather than misses.
Just a thought.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.