Why can't we score?

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by mccity, 20 Mar 2017.

1. Marvin

Marvin

Student
    2 months. The arsenal game was 3 months ago, and he missed about a month after that due to an injury he picked up in that game.

2. steviemc

steviemc

Musician
    No. Just no. You can't compare a golf put or snooker pot with football shooting. You're rarely afforded the chance to shoot the ball into an empty net in football, and don't have the luxury of play being stopped whilst you take your shot. Until the games of golf and snooker allow obstacles to be thrown around the table/green whilst taking a shot, any such comparison will be pointless.

3. GortonBlue62

GortonBlue62

And yet Beckham spent hours perfecting his free kick technique.

Is taking a free kick or a penalty or a corner in a football match not the same kind of 'static' situation as hitting a 5 iron off a fairway?

Pep has a water polo coach in his team at the Etihad and often references other sports (particularly basket ball) so perhaps there is more overlap between sports than you care to admit.

4. cibaman

cibaman

The strange thing is that, amongst the dross, he's actually scored some very good goals. Blackpool, Hull, West Ham, BMG come immediately to mind and none of those goals looked like flukes.

5. Bozo

Bozo

Head Lecturer at the Clown College of Manchester
    I'm sorry, if you literally look back over highlights (mancitygoalz on Instagram is a very quick way to do this) you'll see evidence that our goals are mostly coming from in and around the 6-yard box right now. An huge amount of our goals in 2017 are from inside and around the 6-yard box.

I questioned that perhaps there's an over emphasis on passing the ball into the net. Personally, I just want to see a couple of screamers banged in the top corner before the end of the season.

6. Mike N

Mike N

Expecting Sergio to score a hat trick every game and then blaming him when he doesn't.

7. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Which was the one where everyone was cooing about his composure taking a touch to control the ball right in front of their keeper. When in fact, it was the wrong choice (again) and he nearly fucked it up, but got away with it.

Look, I love the guy - perhaps the best ever player to play for us, certainly one of them. It's just so frustrating that his incredible quality eludes him when a goal scoring chance arises. If he applied the same level of genius to goalscoring that he demonstrates on the rest of the pitch, he'd bag 30 a year. If simply "ok", he'd get 15. But he turns into Bernado Corradi. So frustrating.

8. City Raider

City Raider

The season we scored over 100 league goals we had 6 from centre halves, 20 from Toure, 9 from Negredo and 16 from Dzeko. They weren't all headers but we seem to have lost this as an regular option.

9. SkyBlueTX

SkyBlueTX

Are you allowed to score from a header? I didn't know that was an option.

The Toure and KDB goals are ones we are missing the most. Many of those were from distance. Plus, no other striker besides Serge once Jesus went down. It's really not that hard to see why there is a shortfall. Fixing it on the other hand...

10. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Looking at the skills sessions that were on stadia TV at half time I noted that the players are all aiming for the bottom and top corners of the goals.
    Perhaps they should go for the middle so that when they shank/slice it in match pressure conditions it goes in rather than misses.
    Just a thought.