Why can't we score?

Too much emphasis on passing the ball into the net? The majority of our goals this season have come from inside or just outside the 6-yard box.

Plenty agreeing with you but this simply isn't true at all.

Only 15% of our shots came from the 6 yard box yesterday while 77% were from the 16 yard box and 8% from outside the box. The dippers didn't have a single shot from outside the box at all. In fact the dippers have attempted far less shots from outside the box than we have all season.

The problem is conversion. The dippers are usually ruthless with their chances and lately we've missed 4-5 sitters per game.

Aguero is the chief culprit here, he's attempting more shots per game than any time in his career yet has managed only a startling 13 goals in 92 attempts. That's a marked decline from the Aguero of old and, if he was in keeping with career norms, we should really be doing better than what we are. We rely so much on him. Yes, he scored yesterday, but one goal in four goal scoring opportunities isn't good enough.

Plenty agreeing with you but this simply isn't true at all.

Only 15% of our shots came from the 6 yard box yesterday while 77% were from the 16 yard box and 8% from outside the box. The dippers didn't have a single shot from outside the box at all. In fact the dippers have attempted far less shots from outside the box than we have all season.

The problem is conversion. The dippers are usually ruthless with their chances and lately we've missed 4-5 sitters per game.

Aguero is the chief culprit here, he's attempting more shots per game than any time in his career yet has managed only a startling 13 goals in 92 attempts. That's a marked decline from the Aguero of old and, if he was in keeping with career norms, we should really be doing better than what we are. We rely so much on him. Yes, he scored yesterday, but one goal in four goal scoring opportunities isn't good enough.

Replacing Sergio for Jesus isn't the answer for me, the emphasis would then all be on Jesus and it's debatable whether he step up to the mantle , he may do in the short term but the inevitable drop in form follows all top strikers

Play them both for me is the future, a real headache though for Pep- can be done but would mean a permanent back three moving forward.

Look at our team and it's no surprise. Silva and Sterling are the worst finishers in the league. KDB has never been a goal getter and Sane is just a kid.

With Silva's age and a likely central midfield gap opening up soon, I think we need to ask ourselves if we can afford to not go for Sanchez this summer? United will get Griezman and Chelsea have Hazard, Spurs have Dele Alli etc... We risk falling a million miles behind in the goalscoring department by continuing to rely on goals coming solely from Aguero/Jesus.

We all bang on about how Chelsea are so defensive etc but lets not forget they have scored 5 more than us this year. The reason for that is Costa has outscored Aguero and Hazard is close. If we aren't going to concentrate on defending better then we need a 15 a season + midfielder to win the league.

It's not difficult. Most goals are scored when strikers or runners arrive in the box when the ball is passed/crossed (as per Aguero today).
We over elaborate to the Nth degree and try and walk the ball into the net. We also often waste chances by refusing to break quickly giving the opposition time to get behind the ball.
Bollocks. None of that has anything to do with the chances and shots we are actually missing.

The above would be an explanation of a lack of chances. And chances are the one thing we don't lack.

Possibly the worst explanation to the OP you could have come up with.

A weeks shooting practice wouldn't go amiss most of our lot can't find the net from 3 yards out .......that and some aggression in the box

Replacing Sergio for Jesus isn't the answer for me, the emphasis would then all be on Jesus and it's debatable whether he step up to the mantle , he may do in the short term but the inevitable drop in form follows all top strikers

Play them both for me is the future, a real headache though for Pep- can be done but would mean a permanent back three moving forward.
Totally agree why do we persist with aguero as lone striker, Jesus and he could be fantastic with supply from sane and sterling and backed up by debruyne and silva or (illay gudogan and yay a) whoever.i still think we rely on dm too much in games where we are superior and should be hunting goals, why not aguero and ineanacho

We are making more than enough chances to win any game. The problem is we have players without the mental strength and or ability to put the ball in the net. Stand out examples are Silva and Sterling , KDB and Fern not far behind. Sergio now needs five chances to score one goal. Yaya playing deeper.None of them appear able to keep the ball below bar level which I have always found incredible, Sergio and Silva prime examples yesterday.

Nacho appears to be our best finisher at the moment, but of course can't get a game.

And they all fall over for no reason.

Imagine how many goals a player like Defoe might get , given the chances our mob regularly squander.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.