Why do we need to work?

At almost 27, it's looking increasingly likely that I will never work again. I hate having a learning difficulty. :(

It's a huge issue. Obvious economically a lot of thought is going to have to go into it and if any political party isn't addressing it or even just beginning to talk about it then I would be suspicious...

But having said that....if anyone doesn't see this as a possibility to cure our nations woes, then they must be slow.

If we had millions of people kicking their heels, is there no reason why we could have an ARMY of people all with a guaranteed income who's purpose was to spend their days:
looking after our elderly, educating our kids, policing our streets, supporting our mentally ill, being doctors, research scientists, health and fitness coordinators, dieticians, firemen, search and rescue, farmers, musicisns, midwives, councillors, football coaches, conflict resolution experts, gardeners ... You know.....stuff that actually matters and would genuinely improve society
What have I missed? doesnt that happen now, and always will?

A TED Talk on this subject said you can live the average lifestyle of 100 years ago by working 17 weeks a year. But people aren't satisfied by that. They want to improve their standard of living so they work more. In most cases, we don't work hard because we need to, but because we want the same things that everyone else has got.

What work will there be for humans in 50 years time if the current progress in artificial intelligence and machine learning continues?

Call centres will be replaced with AI within 10 years, farming is becoming automated, which will no doubt speed up with brexit looming, autonomous vehicles will be commonplace in the next 5-10 years, warehousing and delivery will be automatic with very little human intervention, your doctor will be replaced with a phone app. In fact, everywhere you look you can see areas that automated systems will infiltrate and take over. They've even started 3D printing houses ffs!
You still need people to develop, manufacture, sell, install, service/maintain and fix the automated systems. There will still be jobs available but you will have to be skilled - not just a pair of hands.

You still need people to develop, manufacture, sell, install, service/maintain and fix the automated systems. There will still be jobs available but you will have to be skilled - not just a pair of hands.

Agreed on service and install given present technology.

Develop (AI systems can write their own programs now), manufacture (automated factories are here now), and selling (online sales are commonplace) will be automated.

Agreed on service and install given present technology.

Develop (AI systems can write their own programs now), manufacture (automated factories are here now), and selling (online sales are commonplace) will be automated.
You've been watching too many films. There will never be a world where robots/automation totally gets rid of human labour. You're forgetting the human element behind everything you've mentioned.

They better start making realistic sex robots pronto otherwise if there's nothing to do but enjoy yourself then shagging will be a primary occupation leading to a massive population increase

Robots are taking over.

Feck working. Live a good life and Die I say..

I kid !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.