Niall Quinn commentating on City

He's the reason I'm a City fan. Being Irish, I idolised him. I got to meet him in 1990 when City played Shelbourne and that was the day I became a City fan.

Over the years I've lost all respect for him. He completely sat on the fence during the Roy Keane debable, trying to back the fuck away from that situation, when he was supposedly a seasoned pro.

I've seen it with him over the years with everything he does, he's Mr. Sit on the fence. So it's no wonder he comes across so false when doing punditry. He's all "look, I'm a fair guy. Watch me criticize my former team" to gain favour with the braindead masses.

And as for his stint running Sunderland, I know firsthand the caliber of dirtbag he employed in senior positions at that club. People who couldnt run their own households correctly were on the board of directors and thats why I wasnt surprised in the slightest when that club tried to brush the Adam Johnson stuff under the carpet and play him.

Good luck to him, but he's a snake.

He's the reason I'm a City fan. Being Irish, I idolised him. I got to meet him in 1990 when City played Shelbourne and that was the day I became a City fan.

Over the years I've lost all respect for him. He completely sat on the fence during the Roy Keane debable, trying to back the fuck away from that situation, when he was supposedly a seasoned pro.

I've seen it with him over the years with everything he does, he's Mr. Sit on the fence. So it's no wonder he comes across so false when doing punditry. He's all "look, I'm a fair guy. Watch me criticize my former team" to gain favour with the braindead masses.

And as for his stint running Sunderland, I know firsthand the caliber of dirtbag he employed in senior positions at that club. People who couldnt run their own households correctly were on the board of directors and thats why I wasnt surprised in the slightest when that club tried to brush the Adam Johnson stuff under the carpet and play him.

Good luck to him, but he's a snake.
He's why I became a city fan too. Me being Irish and a lanky kid just after Italia 90, and City being the perfect unconventional club at the time.

I think it's always hard to judge famous people because we aren't around them all the time. I give some the benefit of the doubt (Quinn for example) and some I presume are dickheads (Gerrard for example) based on nothing really. Gary Neville was a lesson to me....

Great post, mate and agree with pretty much every word and, upon reflection, he's what I want in a 'City' pundit too, rather than, as you say, a Ferdinand or a Crerand (or, god forbid, a Yorke).

I've been mildly critical of him in the past, but that was a mistake. I've come to realise that he's fair when talking about us, even if I don't always agree with him, and that is all you can really ask.

Oh Jesus, how could I forget about Dwight Yorke! Yorke and Ferdinand sit there with a straight face gushing about the Shite as if they are the red knights of all that is good and holy about football and humanity on a mission to spread hope and peace around the world while ridding it of evil. It's fucking nauseating!

That's the difference between reds and blues, them lot will sit there, mouths open drinking it all in and believing every word! That's why they're all so brainwashed about "DNA" and "the United way" they've basically all been indoctrinated in to a cult over the last 30 years without realising it.

Whereas City fans will woman and moan about every little nuance of the club all week to anyone who will listen, but when someone in the public eye does it, we close ranks and get defensive! I've seen far worse said about the team's mentality, work rate, application, Pellegrini, Yaya etc on here and people don't bat an eyelid. But if Steve McManaman says it, or Michael Owen, or Niall Quinn, people think they've got it in for us.

Probably the most partisan City voice in the media is Trevor Sinclair. He was a fan and played for the club, so he's usually pretty positive. I like him, I wish he was on more. But even he isn't universal in his praise, he'll still be honest. Next is probably Souness, his wife's a blue, so he's quick to laud our players and particularly the CFA and club set up. But he sticks the knife in every now and again, like the Crystal Palace game. After that I'd say Quinn has probably got the most positive things to say about City! He's not always positive, but he's pretty balanced and fair which is more than you can say for Ferdinand, Owen, Mills, etc!

Quinn's one of the better ones towards us so I don't really understand the stick he gets.

Great read, thanks for posting that. There's a couple of whoppers in there like the Hacienda had just opened in 1990, and Liam Gallagher wore a "Quinn 9" shirt for the Oasis concerts at Maine Rd, but other than that, it's spot on.

I don't really understand why people think Quinn has got it in for us. Perhaps it's because they see morons like Rio Ferdinand or Paddy Crerand banging the drum for the Shite with no sense of objectivity and they want the same from our past players.

Personally I don't want that. I just want someone to be fair and if they see people being overly critical of the club, to stand up for us. Quinn does that. I've seen him outnumbered by Souness and Jamie Redknapp on Sky when Liverpool won the title in 2014 and Quinn was arguing our case.

I've seen Quinn rave about the CFA being the best youth facility in world football. I've seen him saying FFP is an absolute joke and unfairly penalises City.

I've also seen him saying our attitude has been horrendous in certain games. Saying Yaya can be a liability in certain games. But what he's said is true, so what's the problem? He's not sticking the knife in, he's doing his job and being objective. I would prefer that than him be Rio Ferdinand.

He seems to look back more fondly on his time at Sunderland than at City. He probably has happier memories there because we were such a shambles at the time he left. But he was a hero at Maine Rd in the early 90s during a shitty time for the club. Maybe the way it ended he has forgotten a bit about how much of a fan favourite he was. But I'll always have a soft spot for his time as a player.

As a pundit, he's not completely partizan in our favour, but he's fair, and when he sees us being unfairly treated he'll stand up for the club. And that's the way it should be.
Fully agree with you & Bellamy's Caddy. To say he hates City is a lazy cliche latched onto by people with short memories & narrow minds. I don't always agree with his comments but never heard a hint of hatred. As for him "sitting on the fence" in the "Keane debacle" perhaps he partially agreed with both sides, not everyone sees an argument in black & white.

He's why I became a city fan too. Me being Irish and a lanky kid just after Italia 90, and City being the perfect unconventional club at the time.

I think it's always hard to judge famous people because we aren't around them all the time. I give some the benefit of the doubt (Quinn for example) and some I presume are dickheads (Gerrard for example) based on nothing really. Gary Neville was a lesson to me....

I know a few people who are working with Gary on his property business and all seem to think he is a decent guy. The people he is working with are decent professionals and with the money he has behind him he is going to go a long way.

Niall Quinn is just a mediocre pundit who manages to piss of his former fans.

The difficulty is having played for us and been something of a cult hero everybody expects him to be ripping his shirt off and screaming every time we score. Clearly the guy does have an affection for the club just like he does for Sunderland and Arsenal. There are occasions when you can understand why people question his imparticality but I don't believe he goes out of his way to be a **** towards us.

I know a few people who are working with Gary on his property business and all seem to think he is a decent guy. The people he is working with are decent professionals and with the money he has behind him he is going to go a long way.

Niall Quinn is just a mediocre pundit who manages to piss of his former fans.
It amazed me how wrong I was about Gary Neville.

Wasn't he coming back from injury before the 94 World Cup city said he wasn't fit so refused to let him go. He thought he was fit enough and got the hump after that

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Quinn going to America with the Ireland squad and training with them as part of his recovery. Not 100 percent on that though.

Edit - Think you are right mate. Just read an extract from his book on google books that mentioned he returned to Manchester still stewing from not being allowed to play.

Last edited:
My dad used to chat to him in The Land O Cakes occasionally, one time when he'd had a spell of injuries my dad commented to him how frustrated he must be feeling about not playing, he said he didn't give a toss as he still got paid all the same.

Not something that I really wanted to hear as a 13 year old and him being one of my heroes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.