Niall Quinn commentating on City

I think the problem is with the punditry profession in general rather than Quinn.

It's dominated by former United and Liverpool players who are in all honesty, thick c***s.

We see football punditry as bigging up United and Liverpool and offering numerous sly digs at City. Therefore when we have a former player on TV we expect them to behave in a similar manner and defend us.

The punditry in England is a joke IMO and is aimed at the 'Sun readers' rather than the normal football fan.

It's very rare that you here a pundit offer genuine insight. Normally it's slagging off a player or manager and making a joke.

The fact Gary Neville was viewed as some form of punditry messiah proves how inept the profession is. Thats the guy who regularly slagged of David Moyes and other struggling managers and then spectacularly failed at Valencia and England.

I don't need to know that Joe Hart is arrogant and shouts too much when he makes a mistake. I'd rather just have the reasons for the mistake explained. Likewise, I don't need to know the cost of Mangala whenever he makes a mistake.

He's the reason I'm a City fan. Being Irish, I idolised him. I got to meet him in 1990 when City played Shelbourne and that was the day I became a City fan.

Over the years I've lost all respect for him. He completely sat on the fence during the Roy Keane debable, trying to back the fuck away from that situation, when he was supposedly a seasoned pro.

I've seen it with him over the years with everything he does, he's Mr. Sit on the fence. So it's no wonder he comes across so false when doing punditry. He's all "look, I'm a fair guy. Watch me criticize my former team" to gain favour with the braindead masses.

And as for his stint running Sunderland, I know firsthand the caliber of dirtbag he employed in senior positions at that club. People who couldnt run their own households correctly were on the board of directors and thats why I wasnt surprised in the slightest when that club tried to brush the Adam Johnson stuff under the carpet and play him.

Good luck to him, but he's a snake.
Bit tricky this one for me. I loved Quinn at City and saw virtually every game home and away he played for us. popular with the fans we used to chant his name non stop on the kippax.
was there for his debut chelsea at home i think..bearing in mind he had been derided as a donkey during his time at arsenal..well he settled in straight away..controlled a long ball on his chest neatly played it out wide,then getting into the box for the cross and a header goal! what a start..he transformed the way we played football ,we finally had a proper number nine..all play was directed around big Niall.
Went to the Dublin branch supporters club 2o year anniversary do ( what a night!! mike summberbee and his wife were guests) and the dublin branch members struggled to say a good word about him.He never showed his face at branch meetings,which i suppose is up to him,but perhaps, there, was the sign, that even tho we worshipped big Niall( and we did,back in the day) to him City was just another club.
Perhaps i shouldn,t be surprised that he is not pro city when working as a pundit.
superb player for us tho,great signing by kendall.

I think he is getting a tough time on here. Is he really as bad as that? I can remember a couple of rants from him defending the club and what was being built here. More than once he has said we are moving in the right direction. I also get that he is negative at times but he is no Danny Mills. He just doesn't wind me up as much as other pundits.

I think he is getting a tough time on here. Is he really as bad as that? I can remember a couple of rants from him defending the club and what was being built here. More than once he has said we are moving in the right direction. I also get that he is negative at times but he is no Danny Mills. He just doesn't wind me up as much as other pundits.

He isn't that bad. People just hear what they want to hear and ignore anything else. Any supporter of any club can parse the words of any commentator and drive themselves ape shit. Commentators get criticised for tone of voice. The amount of bullshit spouted about the vendetta's Match of The Day, BT and Sky commentators are apparently waging would have us taking the piss if it appeared on Rag Cafe.

He isn't that bad. People just hear what they want to hear and ignore anything else. Any supporter of any club can parse the words of any commentator and drive themselves ape shit. Commentators get criticised for tone of voice. The amount of bullshit spouted about the vendetta's Match of The Day, BT and Sky commentators are apparently waging would have us taking the piss if it appeared on Rag Cafe.

these "people who just want to hear what they want to hear and ignore anything else" i presume you mean yourself in that generalisation

No of course he is not bad in fact from reading comments he does have a strong affinity with the club. Sadly he has made the mistake of criticising us, where he thinks its justified, like any impartial commentator should and is now accused of hating us.

Sadly even club legen, by some, are not spared this obsession with the world being against us.

Last edited:
these "people who just want to hear what they want to hear and ignore anything else" i presume you mean yourself in that generalisation

Talking about a subset isn't 'generalisation'. It is observation.

People talk utter crap in the match day thread about commentators. Some even so completely misrepresenting what is said by a commentator that it is basically a lie. Or start raving on about someone not referring to some other club doing the same thing 20 years ago when criticising something. The endless 'whataboutery'. the leaping on a comment, even a positive and extrapolating the crap out of it until the lips start frothing.

Object lessons in confirmation bias.

I'd prefer we left the whining and persecution complexes to Liverpool and The Rags.

Yeah, I think it's nonsense that Quinn "hates" City. He's just able to talk about us objectively, which is his job as a pundit.

Sometimes he might sound a bit over the top. Maybe it's because he cares and it hurts ?
He's definately my preference, compared to most of the crap we get. Hinchcliffe gets a
lot of praise on here, but he's can be quite scathing of us. Maybe it rankles knowing
we can be much better, which is only what we ALL know. Hopefully this season we
will not be handing out the ammunition, too often.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.