Why hasn't England ever produced the worlds best footballer?

The emphasis is never placed on artistry, trickery, and the kind of stuff that FakeRon, Messi and those with their skills bring to the game. For English/British/AngloSaxon/Celtic coaches it seems that workrate was always the starting point.

I think a lot of that was and is cultural too.

It has changed in recent years with how the game has gone global.

Kids want to be able to play like Neymar and if they want to watch how, they can tune in on TV every week.

Gone are the days where only English football was the only football on TV and kids only ever watched men clattering each other as one of the main buzz points.

I think a lot of that was and is cultural too.

It has changed in recent years with how the game has gone global.

Kids want to be able to play like Neymar and if they want to watch how, they can tune in on TV every week.

Gone are the days where only English football was the only football on TV and kids only ever watched men clattering each other as one of the main buzz points.

The biggest problem I think, historically, is that English coaches and managers have never been able to cope with that kind of player. There was always the notion lurking not too far away that artistry was the antithesis of team play and the likes of Rodney, Stan Bowles and to a less degree, Hoddle and Waddle never got the caps other 'automaton-style' players got. It explains to some degree how the likes of Henderson and Lallana, ahead of Ross Barkley, continually get a starting berth.

The biggest problem I think, historically, is that English coaches and managers have never been able to cope with that kind of player. There was always the notion lurking not too far away that artistry was the antithesis of team play and the likes of Rodney, Stan Bowles and to a less degree, Hoddle and Waddle never got the caps other 'automaton-style' players got. It explains to some degree how the likes of Henderson and Lallana, ahead of Ross Barkley, continually get a starting berth.

Agreed. There was a good series in ITV4 called The Mavericks which said as much.

Hoddle I think complained how the rigid 442 in the 80's affected him.

They lead the way in innovation, sports science and coaching.

British Cycling in recent years has entered this realm.

Until England leads the way in those aspects we will always be chasing the pack.

I also think that we don't follow suit unlike South Americans who are in most part trying to escape adversity and are willing to work like mad to do so. As soon as a kid shows promise in this country he gets offered contracts that can sometimes make him a millionaire before he has even turned 20/21.

What like Jesus

What like Jesus

I can see your point, but he has achieved so much in a short period helped massively by his desire to escape adversity.

We have lads in our academy who have had a bubble put around them, treated like celebrities and made millionaires before they even play a senior game.

What like Jesus
Well to be fair, he was at least a key member of a title winning team and a full international when he was getting paid a lot. In England, a lot of them are demanding to be millionaires before they've even reached the first team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.