Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

Not buying players is not the same as buying badly. That's a mistake or an obfuscation of the truth which is often made on here.

When we purchased Otamendi and Mangala they were considered two of the most exciting centre halfs in Europe. The fact that with hindsight the Mangala transfer didn't work out is ... well, it happens. The point is you can't know when you go to buy whether you're buyhing poorly or not. What we didn't do in both instances is go for the "cheap" option. We went for the 'buzz' players. The kinds of transfers that are meant to be no brainers. But sometimes don't turn out that way.

Again this is factually incorrect. In the summer of 2012 we were not in a position to cherry pick the best player in football, nor were we in that position in 2014. No idea why you'd make such an assertion. In 2012 it was made crystal clear by the club's owners that the spending of the previous two years was over and that any significant additions to the squad would only happen if players were sold. In 2014 we were under sanction from UEFA so although both Pellegrini and the club wanted to sign Alexis Sanchez for example they also were cognisant that the priority position was centre half and a central midfielder was also needed.

Although there is some truth in what you're saying, it simply isn't as black and white as you're trying to make out. The overhaul of the team isn't happening "now". It started two years ago with KDB and Raz.
I don't have any objection to Txiki. I am glad he is at City. I agree too that every transfer entails a risk and you can't wheel the gallows out every time a deal goes wrong. However I feel that City spent heavily for a period and the return was poor, and you don't need wheelbarrows of money when you're at the top. Players want to play for the Champions whereas if you're on the outside the money has to be more persuasive. If you look at Chelsea who have been in a similar situation, their transfer activity is a lot more efficient than ours.

I'll come back and read your post again. This was just my instant reaction. Thanks for taking the time to write such a considered reply

That's a very simplistic way of looking at things. Yes we bought well in the summer of 2010 and 2011 but it was always "accelerated spending" to push the club into the top 4. By 2012 we'd won the title.

Yes FFP was a factor but so was Mansour's insistence that the club become self sustaining. By the summer of 2012 the squad was top heavy and needed pruning as the wage bill was eclipsing turnover which is unsustainable madness in almost every respect.

Ultimately Mancini was a "special circumstances" guy and he was obsolete as soon as the title was won in 2012.

Mansour's insistence that we become self sustaining was so we don't fail FFP in future

Not buying players is not the same as buying badly. That's a mistake or an obfuscation of the truth which is often made on here.

When we purchased Otamendi and Mangala they were considered two of the most exciting centre halfs in Europe. The fact that with hindsight the Mangala transfer didn't work out is ... well, it happens. The point is you can't know when you go to buy whether you're buyhing poorly or not. What we didn't do in both instances is go for the "cheap" option. We went for the 'buzz' players. The kinds of transfers that are meant to be no brainers. But sometimes don't turn out that way.

Again this is factually incorrect. In the summer of 2012 we were not in a position to cherry pick the best player in football, nor were we in that position in 2014. No idea why you'd make such an assertion. In 2012 it was made crystal clear by the club's owners that the spending of the previous two years was over and that any significant additions to the squad would only happen if players were sold. In 2014 we were under sanction from UEFA so although both Pellegrini and the club wanted to sign Alexis Sanchez for example they also were cognisant that the priority position was centre half and a central midfielder was also needed.

Although there is some truth in what you're saying, it simply isn't as black and white as you're trying to make out. The overhaul of the team isn't happening "now". It started two years ago with KDB and Raz.

Otter was bought to replace the 'failure' Mangala who was supposed to be a 'footballing'centre back.

Does that description resonate.......John Stones for example may be a footballer but he'll never be a proper defender.
His first four clearances on Tuesday went straight to Brom players & he was in another post code to their scorer.

For all Joleons faults he could defend and was 40% of the best central pairing in the league for 3 years.

Daft as it may sound we've never had an upgrade on him since his demise.

So did you want Bobby sacked on the morning of the Wigan cup final & if so why ?

So Billy isnt rising to your bait so now you want me to?

Its long gone and in the past and as i pointed out to you, H.H Mansour obviously did and that is the end of it.

Only him and Khaldoon will ever be able to tell you if they feel it was a mistake or not as no one on here ever can thats for sure.

Do I feel him going has held us back? No i dont as the plan has always been to get Pep here and as you well know, what Mansour plans for and wants he normally gets and with that i will hazard a guess he is both happy and on target to make our club one of the best in the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.