Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

"Super Club"? Would anyone say that Chelsea are a "super club" at this point?

Real Madrid virtually invented the CL, and have won innumerable Liga titles since the 50s. Barcelona not far behind. Idem. Bayern. That status takes not merely a few years, but decades. That, in short, is the answer.

That said, I don't think there'll be any more super clubs, if I've understood the term properly, in the English Premier League. There'll be no more domination on the scale that there was by Liverpool through the 70s and 80s, and United, through the 90s and noughties. Just not going to happen.

Chelsea are now a super club.

Huge fan base around the world now, European Cup winners trophy in the cabinet.

The only think missing with Chelsea is that up-and-coming state of the art 60k stadium.

Since Abramovich took over I don't think there has been a more successful team in England in regards to number of trophies won, albeit that may have changed with United winning the Europa League last night I am unsure.

The only think missing with Chelsea is that up-and-coming state of the art 60k stadium.

Since Abramovich took over I don't think there has been a more successful team in England in regards to number of trophies won, albeit that may have changed with United winning the Europa League last night I am unsure.

Yep. The turnover of managers is unbelievable yet they still collect trophys. Even unhappy dressing rooms hasn't stopped them either.

But they didn't sack their manager for a trophyless season in 2013/14 like a big club would do, so if they're not even a big club then how can they be a super club? #discombobulated

No super club in England not by a long shot.

We are best placed to go furthest in Europe next year but unlikely to make the final I suggest.

I suspect we will be more competitive domestically next year as well.

Our transfers since 2012 have cost us at least another title.

FFP, poor transfers in pellegrini era and poor handling of contracts IMO. Almost every player gets a year more than they should at city.

Taking in Roberto's first full season until the end of MP's first season we won an FA Cup, 2 League titles, and a LC. Essentially 4 trophies in 4 years. Since then 3 seasons 1 LC.

What is a bit galling is that over that same time frame, one regarded as our best period ever, United seemingly on the decline have won 2 Leagues, an FA cup, a LC and a EL.

And that is why we are not a super club yet. We just haven't won enough. But we will.

Taking in Roberto's first full season until the end of MP's first season we won an FA Cup, 2 League titles, and a LC. Essentially 4 trophies in 4 years. Since then 3 seasons 1 LC.

What is a bit galling is that over that same time frame, one regarded as our best period ever, United seemingly on the decline have won 2 Leagues, an FA cup, a LC and a EL.

And that is why we are not a super club yet. We just haven't won enough. But we will.

Who regards the last three seasons as our best period ever?

Stop talking bollocks.

Who regards the last three seasons as our best period ever?

Stop talking bollocks.

OK the first 4 then. We win 4 trophies to their 2. Satisfied. The two points I was trying to make is that being serial winners is not in our DNA although it looked like it might be in May 2014. Second point we have not kicked on when we should have.

OK the first 4 then. We win 4 trophies to their 2. Satisfied. The two points I was trying to make is that being serial winners is not in our DNA although it looked like it might be in May 2014. Second point we have not kicked on when we should have.

What else, other than us winning the PL, happened in May 2014?

hint: it was more than just a pinch

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.