Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

Blaming officials is a cop out. We haven't been good enough in the transfer market, and as an extension of that - not good enough on the pitch.

At the moment we are not looking to compete with those teams but challenge those at the top of the Premiership which we have not done for the past three seasons. This requires none of what you have listed above. We require a good recruitment policy and a balanced squad what we had in 2012.

Don't disagree with you, but winning the league, again, will not make us a super club, well not in the way I interpreted it from the OP.

Don't disagree with you, but winning the league, again, will not make us a super club, well not in the way I interpreted it from the OP.

Fair comment that. Of all the European clubs I really admire the way Juventus and a lesser extent Athletico Madrid go about their business, Juventus in a failing league appear to find value in the transfer market every season from older players to young players ready to make an impression in the game.

Clubs like Juventus that we have a huge competitive advantage over financially and yet we are light years behind them still. Commercially you are correct we are a long way behind them off the field for club recognition etc but on the field the gap should be a lot smaller and that is due to our failed recruitment policy.

Last edited:
With the influx of the TV money the league has become far more competitive and when you add in all the european games the bigger teams have to play it becomes somewhat of a leveller (which is why i think that better teams not in europe have done so well over the last few seasons)

TBH I have't read the article yet, but it looks a decent read. Could wrong though. Some interesting stats as well.

But the article does have a point. After all the money and investment that has been ploughed into the club and the team, why haven't we achieved more, and ultimately won more trophies?

484222888.jpg

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/13/why-h...become-the-super-club-they-should-be-6631571/
Lack of a plan after we won the title.
Mancini's stubbornness not moving Mario and a few others on leading to awful recruitment.
Mancini's approach that alienated the players. He's a 3 year manager like Jose.
FFP did it's job clipping our wings, held
us back and was truly despicable.
Garry Cook going leading to truly awful recruitment.
As a management City haven't instilled
the mentality to keep winning trophies.
The EPL is really, really competitive and the way finances are shared. It's not comparative to Germany, France and Spain where a few clubs have all the money.

Last edited:
Abysmal signings post 2011 is the major reason.
There is so much money in the major European leagues now that we can't always 'bully' clubs into selling their assets like before so tweaking our transfer policy is the way forward and become a lot more smarter and wiser in the squad planning.
Since we last won the league,watched Chelsea, Leicester and Chelsea yet again win the league with games to spare but yesterday was a notch higher seeing Chelsea celebrate and winning it just by doing the simple things right that I want us to win the league so bad next season..Actually it's an obsession currently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.