Wilfried Zaha

He's talented enough to challenge Sane and Sterling for their places in our side. His attitude is questionable though and at 25 you have to wonder if it will ever change.

I'm still surprised we are not in for Moura.

Kevin Debryune was a 74% passer his final year before leaving Germany to come here. Over his career prior to joining, he was a 76% career passer before moving to 'Pass City' England.

Sane was a 75% passer his final year at Schalke. A 76% career passer before joining 'Pass City'

While Zaha has averages 69% now. His 3.5 year average at Palace has been 76%. I.e on par with Sane and Debryune when they came.

So let's be honest, this 'he can't pass' stuff is a red herring. He is fast, skillful, powerful, athletic and a general nuisance for ant defender.

Yes, hellh be inferior to Sane and Sterling in the beginning, but by season's end. I doubt there'd be a preference. Especially if he gets good playing time while Sane is out.

Nothing about getting Zaha, says anything other than genius move! I'm shocked so many can't see it. Get it done Txiki. I know you can
I'm baffled that Zaha is so underrated here. Another Salah situation? Guardiola used the likes of Pedro, Tello and Cuenca - average players - at Barca, and Douglas Costa, pretty basic speed merchant with sloppy technique looked like a worldbeater at Bayern. All 4 are below average passers.

It may sound strange, but winger position is one of the least demanding in Guardiola's system - at least in terms of awareness and passing. Basically, all you need is to be a good dribbler in 1-on-1s created by diagonal switches, and be able to run/press a lot when the ball is lost. The most difficult part is ability to combine/shoot/score when coming inside, but Raz's example shows it's coachable.

As for Zaha's passing ability: I think using stats like '% of passes completed' is a wrong way to judge players, it tells more about the system. Pep will recognize what player does best and design specific moves/combinations to hide his weak points, it's not rocket science. For example, Walker is an average passer, but he's not asked to take part in intricate combinations like Dani Alves. WZ would look like a different player after several months with Guardiola.

Zaha is more technically sound than all Pep wingers I've mentioned. I don't think there's much between him and Sane right now: Sane is a better shooter, but Zaha's dribbling impresses me more. Both are average passers/playmakers currently if you ask me. Sane has undoubtedly higher ceiling, but he's yet to reach it.

Pep tried that experiment with Nolito who was a reasonably priced player for the type of role he was expected to play. Didn't settle but we had little trouble moving that player on. On top of that Cuenca, Pedro and Tello were academy graduates and Costa was brought in at at decent price (no more than 30m euros). In Zaha's case he is going to cost a lot more, who is 26 years old and will be expecting more game, who might not be willing to accept a squad role.

Last edited:
If he was 5 years younger then yes. Doubt Pep can add enough to his game so he won't be a liability. If we should add a winger, I'd rather we go for Lemar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.