Will Arsenal Get The Same Response?

gooney said:
Damocles said:
No, I think Arsenal had the right tactics, just as we did against them and United.

My problem is the difference in media and fan perception.
The difference is barca is much better than us, we are not much better than you. We came up against the best team in the world by some distance and was leading 3-2 until we got a man sent off.

Have you heard yourself. !!

We came up against the best team in the world by some distance and was leading 3-2 until we got a man sent off.[/quote]

God above only knows how you were "winning" 3 - 2, and when he realised how absolutely ridiculous that was, he did something about it, to rectify the only injustice about last night, that is, that Arsenal were still in the tie, having been played off the park for nigh on 3 hours

Don't get the comparison you're trying to make Damocles - or more importantly, it's a disingenuous comparison. Arsenal's tactics were based on them already leading from the first leg - which you know and others have pointed out.

So this is solely about the media's reaction - well then that can be explained away pretty quickly too. Arsenal are one of the most 'attack' minded teams in world football. They are married to a philosophy which they use week in and week out to great effect. Their team has been put together at a fraction of the cost ours was put together at (and a fraction of what Barca's team cost) and yet they are still currently miles ahead of us in terms of the way they play, never mind the results they get. If you think they deserve to be panned in the way we were you're wrong. If you think the media are being hypocritical you're wrong. It's simply a case of them coming up against a team who it would have been suicidal to try and attack - which IMO is absolutely not the case with our game at the Emirates. We could and maybe should have attacked a little more, but as others have said we were nowhere near good enough on the night to do that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying the media's attacks on us after that game - some of what was written as a disgrace - but I just think of all the examples you could have used, last night's match is a really bad one...

BillyShears said:
Don't get the comparison you're trying to make Damocles - or more importantly, it's a disingenuous comparison. Arsenal's tactics were based on them already leading from the first leg - which you know and others have pointed out.

So this is solely about the media's reaction - well then that can be explained away pretty quickly too. Arsenal are one of the most 'attack' minded teams in world football. They are married to a philosophy which they use week in and week out to great effect. Their team has been put together at a fraction of the cost ours was put together at (and a fraction of what Barca's team cost) and yet they are still currently miles ahead of us in terms of the way they play, never mind the results they get. If you think they deserve to be panned in the way we were you're wrong. If you think the media are being hypocritical you're wrong. It's simply a case of them coming up against a team who it would have been suicidal to try and attack - which IMO is absolutely not the case with our game at the Emirates. We could and maybe should have attacked a little more, but as others have said we were nowhere near good enough on the night to do that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying the media's attacks on us after that game - some of what was written as a disgrace - but I just think of all the examples you could have used, last night's match is a really bad one...
I tend to agree except I think shutting up shop is just something you have to do from time to time. Wenger's failure and Arsenal's failure by extension is he hasn't built a team that can do this. His team doesn't have the resolve to shut up shop and weather the Barca storm for 70 minutes and then start pushing forward on the counter. Instead he has a team of pissy twats that start lashing out and get cards until they're down to ten men. If you want to park the bus, you have to have strong men who have discipline. That's something we do have. I hear people saying we couldn't have played any better than Arsenal did last night. They're wrong I feel. We have discipline in our team. We would likely have lost, but it wouldn't have been because we're panicky, tantrum-throwing toddlers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.