Will Platini Offer UEFA support to Blatter?

fbloke

I cannot see the FA being too happy about offering support to Blatter in this way?

UEFA president Michel Platini refuses to commit European football's governing body to a bloc vote for either Sepp Blatter or Mohamed Bin Hammam in the FIFA presidential race.

Speaking at a press conference in Paris after the UEFA Congress today, Platini declined on several occasions to say if UEFA would support one candidate - as CONCACAF appears likely to do - or if the vote of the 53 member associations would be split.

"I am going to think about it and consult with my vice presidents and see what position we will adopt," he told reporters.

"We will see if European football will support one or the other candidate. I have my view."

CONCACAF secretary general Chuck Blazer revealed two weeks ago that he believes the 35 members from his confederation were likely to vote as a bloc at the FIFA presidential election on June 1 in Zurich.

Platini tiptoed around the subject of Blatter's battle with AFC president Bin Hammam, offering guarded responses to a barrage of questions about the fight for the presidency.

Asked if a split UEFA vote for the Swiss and Qatari would be damaging for the unity and stability of UEFA, the Frenchman said only that he would listen to what his colleagues said before making UEFA's position public.

Saying he was "very happy" about being re-elected for another four-year term today, the 55-year-old was also asked if he thought that an Asian FIFA president would be good for European football.

"I think we will decide that at a later stage," he said.

Platini sat on the fence when asked if he might stand for the FIFA presidency in four years time. Earlier today, Blatter told the UEFA Congress that he plans to step down in 2015 if re-elected in June.

"Let's meet up in three years and then I will tell you," Platini told reporters.

Blatter today declined to speak to INSIDER about his FIFA presidential campaign or to elaborate on his plans to quit in four years time if he is successful in this summer's vote.

Since announcing his candidacy for the top job in world football last Friday, Bin Hammam has made global headlines about his promises of reform, focusing on plans to bring more transparency and integrity to FIFA in the wake of the World Cup cash-for-votes scandal.

Platini, widely applauded for his reforms in his first four years as UEFA boss - largely due to the launch of financial fair play rules in 2010 - would not be drawn towards backing Bin Hammam's plans to overhaul FIFA.

Asked if he would like to see the 2011-2015 FIFA president make big changes, the former France captain said: "It is good to have two candidates, it is good for democracy.

"I think there will be new things proposed by the candidates and that might be a very good thing."

Platini said it was too early to say if he would be prepared to vote openly and publicly in future elections of World Cup host cities, a response to a question raised over concerns about the secret ballot for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments. The competitions were awarded to Russia and Qatar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.