Will We Do Business in the Winter Window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra Passenger

The Winter transfer window is - generally speaking - not a good time for elite clubs to conduct transfer business. Typically, player selection is limited in the Winter window,; moreover available players will often be ineligible for UCL, having played previously in the competition for their current club.

That said, we need upgrades for our fullbacks and, unfortunately, Kompany seems to be always injured - so we could use another world class centerback.

Moreover, that Pep chose to play Fernando as our pivot against Spurs, with predictably disastrous results, argues that we desperately need another world-class player capable of playing the lone pivot as well (I don't think that Gundogan is quite capable of this; Garcia, on the other hand might fill this role, but since Garcia wasn't selected to play against Spurs, perhaps there's a question mark over Garcia as well).

So what do you think?

Will we try to conduct business in the Winter transfer window - and if so, whom do you think we'll try to sign?

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought that the club would be looking to do any business in January, unless an exceptional situation arises (such as Bonucci or Kroos suddenly becoming available, which seems unlikely).

Out’s would be required. I can’t see us moving anyone on. Dropping VK from the squad list on the basis he is always injured would be very harsh. So I can’t see it. Yaya out maybe but that does not free up a place.

P.S. Nacho would become eligible for the B list so G Jesus could come into the A list! I assume that is the plan.

I wouldn't have thought that the club would be looking to do any business in January, unless an exceptional situation arises (such as Bonucci or Kroos suddenly becoming available, which seems unlikely).

Let us hope there are no serious injuries then,otherwise we will be

Don't think it will be any big name players if any,maybe some "one for the future" players.
Most of the top players will either still be in the CL,and the ones what ain't will be cup tied,could also be challenging on their domestic front.
January is a shite window,can't see us going anywhere near the £150m being touted,just opinion.
Unless of course,there is a hidden gem we've been watching,a la Suarez and the dippers.

I wouldn't rule it out. Every day we are more and more aware of what we are missing to complete the jigsaw, and we know several big contracts are up this summer.

Players must leave though, be it on loan or permanent. I would say several are in that category of being in no mans land between not offering enough and blocking younger talent, and may find themselves doing a Nasri come January.

A Leftback will be nice. In particular, the one at Benfica. Other than that, think we are good.

I read we have only signed one player in the last 5 years in Jan and we know how that turned out, so seems unlikely. I think it is a sign of a well run club, Jan signings always have a bit of a gamble about them.

However Jesus will be the arrival of that window and give us a very good option (although I expect Pep to ease him in).

That said you have to think funds would be available if Pep wants them and so I would not rule it out. The issue is probably the poor situation we would be in regarding out goings.

I expect a lot of ground work to be done for next summer, as we have obvious weakness in 4 areas. Although I have not given up on on Vinny!!

I'm hopeful the youth players will step up at CM and FB, as you would have to think that they should get opportunities to move up the order for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.