Will we have learnt from the previous mistakes?

Rhapsody in Blue

Team supported
Manchester City
Assuming that we will win the PL title, do you think we will have learnt from the previous mistakes in order to mount a proper title defence for the first time?

After the 2012 win, many supported Mancini's stance that we should have strengthened the squad with VVD, DDR, Hazard etc and we ended up with Rodwell, Garcia (although crucial 2014), Sinclair etc.

Similar things happened after 2014 where we saw contract extensions to Kolarov and Nasri for example, which seemed logical at the time, but ultimately led to an aging squad with limited hunger, with three straight seasons where we haven't been close to the title.

It indeed looks good with a young, talented squad, Pep at the helm, and not many positions where there are question marks. However, we now have the possibility to put a marker down for a long time to come, and make a super strong squad even better, and aim for years with endless trophies to come.

Question is, will we do it and have we learnt? What do you think?

I think as the board have full long-term confidence in Pep we'll invest for the correct players in the summer.

No big time Charlie's but proper class players. We're never going to have a better chance of the CL as we are over the next couple of years, all the English teams perhaps apart from Liverpool shit it playing us, Madrid are in transition etc the door is open, let's run through it.

We've already learnt from the past, that's why we have a brilliant Director of Football. We've been signing players way below their peak, and nurturing brilliant young homegrown players, so as long as we keep the manager and DoF, the future will look after itself. Don't underestimate the impact of the players' personalities, too. We've been signing well -balanced, hungry team players for years and that all feeds into things.

There's no FFP either. Don't underestimate the impact of that.

Mancini sanctioned what went on in 2012, especially the players we sold. He tried to scapegoat it as a reason for our piss-poor title defence which is what seen him out the door. Pep is a far superior manager in terms of motivating players and identifying quality players so there’s no chance he will take us backwards. I wouldn’t worry.

I think one of the things that is overlooked about Pep is his ability to spot players that fit in. Apart from Nolito, every player that has come under Pep, including Bravo even though it took a while to realise it has fit in and improved.
Because we are so far ahead of other prem teams the squad will now require only minor tweaking, which is a great position to be in.

I think so. And I think we probably already have a fairly clear plan of which positions we need to strengthen, and who we plan to get to fill those spots. Our squads already the strongest it's been, our benches look great & we still have Mendy to come back in who'll essentially be a new signing.

I said when Pep joined 2 transition seasons & the third season should be where we see what Pep is about. He's outperformed for me turning it around & building a fresh squad that is performing at this level so quickly, I expect he'll finally complete the squad next season with the likes of Yaya etc. the last to leave, and 2-3 new additions to finalise the depth.

Irrespective of how right they get it, defending a title these days is not easy. It's not like 20 years ago when there were only really two teams going for it; now there are half a dozen.

City might well get everything spot on and still not win the title next year - that's the beauty of the Premier League, and why teams are struggling to do it the last 10 years.

We were fighting FFP and restrictions during our previous challenges and won the league narrowly without improving sufficiently. We will further strengthen as there are still obvious weaknesses in the squad - no obvious cover for Fernandinho being one.

Our young players will all further improve so we are in great shape to defend the title. It is becoming harder to do so. Hopefully Chelsea suffer more turmoil as on paper they are the closest challengers. Without a top class centre forward or central midfielder I do not see Liverpool having enough to win it even with Keita joining.

The rags will improve again but Mourinho wants to play 4-2-3-1 and clearly is not yet comfortable with his squad.

It will be tough but we have a great squad already and if we further improve we should be fighting for the title again. Key players staying fit will be crucial. We have survived despite injuries this season but would we have if De Bruyne and Ferny had been injured? We need to make sure the squad improves so all players have to be on it.

I think we will get better next season and I see us retaining the title. Pep has completely addressed our dodgy defence that Neither Mancini or Pellegrini could, and added a top class young keeper.

The most important thing Pep has gave the players is belief and a will to win. You can see that they are enjoying themselves on the pitch and we are now reaping rewards. Every player except Yaya has improved under Pep and he has instilled a collective togetherness and never say die winning mentality with a into the team.

I can't see us dominating like united and Liverpool did as there is much more competition, but I think we'll be the most successful English club for the foreseeable future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.