Willy Caballero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until the Capital One Cup final he hadn't had a good game for us and had made at least one mistake in each game he played. You can't re-write history, up until that point he was awful and he hasn't played that much since.
Asside from the shootout I don't think he had a particularly good game even then. For example, he should have done better for the Liverpool equaliser.
An average keeper.

Last edited:
Perhaps worth remembering that he wasn't brought in to be backup, but to push Joe...

Perhaps worth remembering that he wasn't brought in to be backup, but to push Joe...
Was he? I thought we'd sold out sub 'keeper and needed another sub 'keeper so bought him.

Clearly a good keeper. Hasn't had a bad game since the CoC final. Actually almost as good as Joe at shot-stopping, and ahead on many other attributes. You don't fluke four penalty saves out of five in a season.

When he first came it was as competition to Hart, it soon became clear he was not as good though. So if not Hart, we need another keeper. But it is hard to find a great keeper who is happy as a no.2 and sit on the bench for majority of games, so as said above, he is an able no.2 but never a first choice at a top club

If a 1st keeper needs a strong backup to be pushed to good performance I would simply put his ability to motivate himself in question.

A good backup just needs to be good enough and content being backup and always supports the no.1 in any way.
A good defence needs stability and a clarified situation in goal. Discussing the whole season about no.1 and 2 would be negative for the team spirit and the backline stability. I don't understand this argument of competition between the keepers. Having a strongly competing backup it will never be quiet in your backyard. The no.1 keeper needs a maximum of backing and commitment by the manager. The backup must get the same support by the manager and by the no.1 keeper if he gets some games. Every player needs strong backing but a keeper even more so.

Willy is a perfect backup. He does accept his position and always did. He got some games and made mistakes but he also saved silverware for City. I find Willy is higly unappreciated by many fans for his service for the team and the club. He earns a quarter of Joe's wages by the way and is shutting up.

Loving Joe is one thing. But why not cheer Willy if he does well?
Willy was under pressure last Saturday and you could see it in the first minutes. But going on he really did well in the way Pep wants. I understand many fans didn't applaude his good passes as they felt sad for Joe. But as I said, chearing Willy does not mean being a traitor of Joe in any way.

Based on that game, Hart should be back between the sticks getting a fair chance to stake his claim as certified Number 1.

I like Caballero, but fook having him as Number 1!

Hart is no worse in distribution for sure.
Hart wont be number 1 as Bravo is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.