Windows 10 - BSOD

I couldn't tell you how long it would take to sort it but I doubt they'd want you hanging about somehow.

What makes you think AdBlocker's not working then?

Yeah, that would be a clue I suppose... (he says grudgingly)

Does the icon appear on the tool bar? Have you tried a different Ad Blocker?
I'll have a look at the tool bar,the one i have covers 32 and 64 bit and is supposed to be for windows 10,it is the same one that used to work on the 8 with no problem,if it says it's enabled then it should work surely
When i have time i might download one for windows 8 and see what happens,i might just do that at the shop if it doesn't work as i can wait whilst they do that if i ring first

hi Karen
how old is this laptop? I only mention this as you say your using a wireless dongle
does it not have wireless built in?
apologies if ive misread

if you are indeed talking about the onboard built in wireless adapter then I know there are issues with Broadcom products.

if yours is a Broadcom then you need to totally uninstall the driver and related programs and like others have said get the very latest

Last edited:
I had Windows10 for about 6 weeks, about 3 weeks after it was released.

It upgraded fine.
The laptop then started to have the odd error (week 1).
The laptop then became unstable, the odd crash, but very slow (week 2).
Video stopped working, and couldn't find any solutions (that worked) online, their preferred option was a reinstall.
After several attempts to get video working it was crashing every time I used it (week 4).
Tried in vain to get solutions for microsoft who are utterly usless.
They suggested I did a reinstall, there's two options, 1 that retains your data, one that does a clean reinstall (week 5), I opted for the reinstall that retains my data.
It seemed to go OK, then after several hours (18 I think) it just never came back to the Win10 screen, well that's not quite true, it just never came back to a situation that I could log back in (week 6).
My only option at that point was to do a factory reset back to Win 7.

I now have a happily running (super clean) version of Win7 on my laptop, (other than it keeps asking me to upgrade to Win10), luckily I'd got everything backed up so didn't lose anything. I spoke to microsoft who confirmed my laptop was compatible, and told me that I was one of very few who'd any problems. I spoke to HP, who told me that they don't recommend anyone with a Win7 laptop upgrade to Win10.

I'll be taking HP's advice.

I had Windows10 for about 6 weeks, about 3 weeks after it was released.

It upgraded fine.
The laptop then started to have the odd error (week 1).
The laptop then became unstable, the odd crash, but very slow (week 2).
Video stopped working, and couldn't find any solutions (that worked) online, their preferred option was a reinstall.
After several attempts to get video working it was crashing every time I used it (week 4).
Tried in vain to get solutions for microsoft who are utterly usless.
They suggested I did a reinstall, there's two options, 1 that retains your data, one that does a clean reinstall (week 5), I opted for the reinstall that retains my data.
It seemed to go OK, then after several hours (18 I think) it just never came back to the Win10 screen, well that's not quite true, it just never came back to a situation that I could log back in (week 6).
My only option at that point was to do a factory reset back to Win 7.

I now have a happily running (super clean) version of Win7 on my laptop, (other than it keeps asking me to upgrade to Win10), luckily I'd got everything backed up so didn't lose anything. I spoke to microsoft who confirmed my laptop was compatible, and told me that I was one of very few who'd any problems. I spoke to HP, who told me that they don't recommend anyone with a Win7 laptop upgrade to Win10.

I'll be taking HP's advice.
To be fair that sniffs mightily that it's a drivers issue (they almost all are with laptops I think) and that HP are to blame.

I use a desktop that I built myself so I knew exactly what was in it and that they were all bog stock bits. Once I'd checked that the AMD drivers had Win10 versions out (and a quick check on the MB drivers page) I installed over Win8.1. It ran perfectly, so much so that I reinstalled Win10 from scratch (which frees up a lot of space) and have never had a glitch from it.

If you're using a laptop I would still research all the relevant forums for compatibility issues before trying it.

To be fair that sniffs mightily that it's a drivers issue (they almost all are with laptops I think) and that HP are to blame.

I use a desktop that I built myself so I knew exactly what was in it and that they were all bog stock bits. Once I'd checked that the AMD drivers had Win10 versions out (and a quick check on the MB drivers page) I installed over Win8.1. It ran perfectly, so much so that I reinstalled Win10 from scratch (which frees up a lot of space) and have never had a glitch from it.

If you're using a laptop I would still research all the relevant forums for compatibility issues before trying it.
I manually updated all known drivers and asked a 1000 questions on various Win10 forums, it was Win10 not being ready for release, and I'll never upgrade again with microsoft, its left such a bitter taste, the biggest thing though is their lack of help/interest, they have no customer service at all. The amount of my time I'll never get back is quite frightening.

I manually updated all known drivers and asked a 1000 questions on various Win10 forums, it was Win10 not being ready for release, and I'll never upgrade again with microsoft, its left such a bitter taste, the biggest thing though is their lack of help/interest, they have no customer service at all. The amount of my time I'll never get back is quite frightening.
Ahh, fair enough. Do you know if they've sorted it for your particular laptop now or should I just not ask? ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.