With Bell and Lee and Summerbee( and Mike, Alan, Nelly, Tommy).....

Derby was always just a pile of mud for 4 months of the season.

I do remember Pat Jennings trying to bounce the ball in front of the Platt Lane as keepers did in those days before half volleying in up the pitch only for it to stick in the mud.

In some respects being a champion in those days was more difficult that now. You'd have grass, ice, snow, waterlogged, muddy & bone dry 'rippled' pitches to win on rather than the bowling greens of today.

Derby was always a pile of mud, remember one game there they couldn't find the penalty spot and had to measure it out.

Just found the lost penalty spot incident at Derby. Memory playing tricks but I thought I was behind Joes goal for it, maybe the top deck or was we at the side?

I was at that awful game at Derby. We outplayed them in the first half, and didn't Big Dave Watson hit their bar with a thumping header? Then it all went wrong on that mudheap, and to add insult to injury that Toby Jones lookalike Archie Gemmill ran into our area, threw himself at a City defender and the ref gave that notorious penalty.
A miserable journey back home, seething with rage at the injustice.

Still remember the 'Ballet on Ice' December 67 like it was yesterday, no way would that game be played today, superb that day City, Spurs played their part as well forcing Mulhearn into numerous saves, 4-1 City, men were men back then and the pies were cheap!

Still remember the 'Ballet on Ice' December 67 like it was yesterday, no way would that game be played today, superb that day City, Spurs played their part as well forcing Mulhearn into numerous saves, 4-1 City, men were men back then and the pies were cheap!
One of my all time favourite City games and likewise I too remember the game well.In those players just never feigned injury nor went down rolling over and over and over.Neil Young was superb that day,but then again all eleven players were great.Ballet on Ice ... what a wonderful advert for football.

Very enjoyable to watch that one again. Despite me missing most of it as growing in to being a blue from 1976, it contains rarely a highlight or comment I somehow didn’t know. English football abroad was about muddy pitches, sliding tackles, headers from forwards with or without front teeth, and the Wembley FA cup final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.