Without the nightmares of the 80s and 90s where would we be now ?

Hope this works. I saved these images and have tried to upload them.

The first is a mock-up produced during Lee's era and IIRC it was featured once in the match programme. It shows how an all-seater Maine Road might have looked had the new Kippax served as the first phase of a redevelopment to an eventual capacity of around 45K:

v65e6h.jpg

Just for reference, here's the page from one of Gary James's books that reproduces the 1982 Swales plan, trailed in the match programme during the 1981/2 season. The new Main Stand roof, added in the summer of 1982, was to have been the first phase of a plan that would have given us a ground with 32K seats and a 16K-capacity Kippax terrace with a similar roof to that opposite.

2n04ydw.jpg

Nightmare? Dark days? i thought the 70s, 80s, and 90s were brilliant, made me proud to be a downtrodden Blue and was character building
At the time we sort of enjoyed the ride, but the slide after sacking Tony Book lasted decades longer than expected. After 12 or 13 years of mostly being near the top of the league the signs were there that all was not well behind the scenes. Trevor Francis gave us hope..... then left. Benarbia and Kinkladze looked world class, Steve MacKenzie looked destined for greatness and Shaun Goater gave us some magic moments, but a club of our size shouldn't have struggled for so long.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a title shot, we still lacked a bit of quality in that squad though Kendall would probably have pushed us a couple of places higher had he stayed.
Howard signed Alan Harper and played him as a sweeper, Niall Quinn (proved the doubters wrong), Adrian Heath and Tony Coton. Transformed us.... then left. I was always worried that Howard would leave us for the England job.....

I wouldn't give a shit where we were, I'd still be there giving my full support, because city are in my blood and will be forever. We won the lottery so enjoy the future, like I enjoyed the past (yes even when we were awful).

I'd like to see what would happen to our fan base should mansour pull the plug and fuck off, my guess is many a fan would disappear down the drain with him, then spout up wearing rag shirts.
Very disrespectful of your fellow fans don't you think ?

You don't realise how right you are - Bowie, the Stones, the Pistols, Floyd, Springsteen, Zep, Eddie Cochran, The Jam, Dylan and The Smiths form the bulk of my music collection.
In fact, I always thought we were, and still are, the most rock 'n' roll club out there. In the 80s and 90s, just like an underground band with no singles chart success, but with a massive following.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.