Without the nightmares of the 80s and 90s where would we be now ?

This. Pathetic club management did it for us. The rags weren't a so-called 'bigger club' in the 60's and 70's. We should have capitalised on our earlier successes as they did.
Apparently since their ground was rebuilt, they posted consistently higher attendance figures & financial turnovers than us. I remember reading it somewhere that it was still pretty close up until Munich & from then on (Apart from their relegation) they were always considered the bigger club by those in football.

Allison returning to the club in tandem with the equally brain-dead Swales 'The wig' was the beginning of the end until Sheikh Mansour saved us from oblivion. I never forget the feeling of doom & gloom when we sold Tueart, Barnes, Owen, Hartford etc and bought the likes of Steve Daley.

I saw a comparison a few season ago on a City blog, where it was claimed the £7-8m Swales spent then only to end in our relegation, would be be the modern day equivalent of £800m. It's a sobering thought that the comparison was based on Ronaldo being the most expensive player in the world at £80m & not what Neymar just cost PSG.

The Skol Festival Trophy in 1979 was when the wheels started to come off, and it was clear Allison didn't have a Scooby.
The brown shirts were fairly prophetic.

I reckon those nightmares are the reason our owners bought us. They thought this fan will stick by us no matter What, god forbid even failure. Worry over for all concerned.
The reason our owners bought us is very simple. You're sat in it every home game. No COMS, no Mansour.

I do have a couple of Kinks albums. Ray Davies - arguably the country's greatest ever lyricist.

Great back catalogue. Davies is a genius. Something Else, Kinks, "Village Green" - just brilliant amongst many others

I do have a couple of Kinks albums. Ray Davies - arguably the country's greatest ever lyricist.

Great back catalogue. Davies is a genius. Something Else, Kinks, "
I'm not sure about a title shot, we still lacked a bit of quality in that squad though Kendall would probably have pushed us a couple of places higher had he stayed.

I think we'd have won a cup and challenged for the League had Kendall stayed. Looking back I can forgive him but by was I butter and angry at the time. Kendall could vary his tactics, Reid couldn't, though both did decent enough jobs (despite the overpayment on Curle and Phelan).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.