Women's Football/Mark Sampson

I agree, especially when people criticise things like the goalkeeping as if the odd howler is somehow representative of the standard in general.

It might have been the case a few years ago but not any more.

The general standard has improved dramatically over the last few years.

The Japanese team that won the WC in 2011 were very good to watch.

I've really enjoyed the tournament so far and looking forward to the next game.

Probably just as well because they might start asking a few uncomfortable questions.

Why are there more histrionics in the men's game than the womens?

Why is there more respect for the referee in the women's game?

Why can the fans of different teams sit together at the women's game without feeling the need to throttle each other?

Good point, It's true that the women seem a damn sight more respectful to the referee and their opponents, makes a refreshing change to be honest.

There's also the absence of boorish chanting that you get at England games when the men's team are playing.

I doubt we'll be hearing a chorus of 'If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts' on Thursday.

There's also the absence of boorish chanting that you get at England games when the men's team are playing.

I doubt we'll be hearing a chorus of 'If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts' on Thursday.

Doubt we'll be seeing fans paying 7 yr old kids begging in the street to down pints and smoke cigs either.

Or no mention of the IRA!

Also, I think a lot of the people citing the quality as being their main beef aren't being totally honest. If somebody started a thread asking if anyone watches any lower league football, you don't get people going out of their way to post in those threads about how it's an absolute waste of time and how the standard isn't as high. We know the standard isn't as high, people still enjoy it though and want to support it/talk about it.
Exactly. They're just sexist pricks, basically. The sort of people who object to women doing anything high profile and getting credit for doing so. The other one is "Why are the BBC covering this when they're not covering lower league men's football that gets far more spectators?" That was the gist of some of the comments on an article about us winning the league ffs. Apparently even us winning the league isn't worth its own article. But curiously, at exactly the same time, there was an article given equal billing on the sports page about a normal rugby league game that got a lower crowd. Interesting that there weren't loads of comments from angry, insecure men on that article about how the BBC shouldn't be covering that event. They're even spreading their shit over the men's football articles now because they've stopped accepting comments on women's football articles.

But yeah, the level isn't as high. Of course it isn't. The women's game for the most part isn't even professional yet. I believe Liverpool are the only fully professional team (maybe us now too?) and all of the others have a mix of amateurs and professionals. But it has to start somewhere and it's only going to get bigger. I hope so, because my cousin's kid is currently playing for Blackburn's youth team and it'd be great if she could turn professional one day. When all of the women playing in the WSL are able to devote their life to football in the same way that males players can, the standards and fitness levels will massively improve.

I get the point about the "Arsenal beat Chelsea" headlines sometimes distracting your attention, but the same happens with "England" when there's a hockey game on or something and no-one complains about that. You take one look at the picture, see that they're women and if you're not interested, you don't click on it.

Have noticed that Channel Four's coverage is definitely an improvement on the BBC's. Jonathan Pearce really struggles to commentate on the women's game without coming out with some ridiculously trivial comments. Remember watching the Chelsea Arsenal FA Cup final last year and him saying something about Clare Rafferty struggling with black moods in her life!

I think it'd be great for the women's game if someone like Channel 4 got the full WSL rights and broadcast a game each week. Think it could give it a real lift in the same way loads of people were into Italian football when I was younger thanks to their coverage.

Channel 4 did a great job with Gazzetta and the Sunday afternoon game. I think they achieved that by focussing on the football and not the personalities involved. The BBC, Sky and BT fall over themselves backwards, so far up their own arses that they come out of their own throat, to curry favour with X, Y or Z.

Channel 4 would do a great job with the FAWSL.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.