Women's Football/Mark Sampson

Exactly. They're just sexist pricks, basically. The sort of people who object to women doing anything high profile and getting credit for doing so. The other one is "Why are the BBC covering this when they're not covering lower league men's football that gets far more spectators?" That was the gist of some of the comments on an article about us winning the league ffs. Apparently even us winning the league isn't worth its own article. But curiously, at exactly the same time, there was an article given equal billing on the sports page about a normal rugby league game that got a lower crowd. Interesting that there weren't loads of comments from angry, insecure men on that article about how the BBC shouldn't be covering that event. They're even spreading their shit over the men's football articles now because they've stopped accepting comments on women's football articles.

But yeah, the level isn't as high. Of course it isn't. The women's game for the most part isn't even professional yet. I believe Liverpool are the only fully professional team (maybe us now too?) and all of the others have a mix of amateurs and professionals. But it has to start somewhere and it's only going to get bigger. I hope so, because my cousin's kid is currently playing for Blackburn's youth team and it'd be great if she could turn professional one day. When all of the women playing in the WSL are able to devote their life to football in the same way that males players can, the standards and fitness levels will massively improve.

I get the point about the "Arsenal beat Chelsea" headlines sometimes distracting your attention, but the same happens with "England" when there's a hockey game on or something and no-one complains about that. You take one look at the picture, see that they're women and if you're not interested, you don't click on it.

Couldn't agree more. Despite my misleading name on here I'm a woman in her early thirties and the only sport I wanted to really play as a kid was football. I wasn't really able to get the opportunity to play it regularly as our school wouldn't let us and then as you enter your awkward early teens you'd get the piss taken out of you or called a lesbian as though that's some kind of insult or whatever. Seeing the level our current crop have reached with relatively little encouragement and no WSL to aim for when they were kids is so impressive to me and when you get no marks on here slagging them off it really grinds my gears. Lucy Bronze is a brilliant player and her along with the other women at the top of the game deserve a bit of respect. I'm chuffed to bits that your cousin's kid has the chance to follow her dream in a more inclusive era and Im glad she has the likes of Bronze, Haughton etc to look up to alongside the Disney princesses girls of the past have been force-fed!

In 10 years women's football will have the same credibility as female tennis and athletics.

The game is currently very underdeveloped.

Which means this year is probably the England women's team's last chance to win anything...

I just think it's important that nobody expects the woman's game to be anything like the men's, personally I find the style of play less enjoyable but respect it as a sport and certainly agree with the idea that eventually it should be considered a sport equal to male football. However I don't expect to live to see that day; we're a long way off, for similar reasons to being a long way off the first openly gay Premier League player.

One thing I've noticed in women's football is the extreme contrast between technical brilliance and utter shite that can take place sometimes by the same player in the same match, even more so than in the men's game. I remember watching Steph Houghton a few years ago roulette brilliantly around an opposition player and then immediately misplace a routine five-yard pass and concede a throw-in.

Also I've always wondered what mixed-gender football would look like, although I know that would never work in reality.

I've got nothing against women playing football but just as I don't watch ladies boxing, I won't watch ladies football too. Nothing personal but I just can't heat up for something in my 40s and whole my life I'm used on football being played by men on the same way I'm used on athletics being mixed sport. That might change in the future but for our generation and those around it will always be the sport on the margin of interest spectre as much as I could try to be gender correct and try to speak what could sound nice and sweet.

But then again, I barely watch any football I'm not emotionally connected to these days, so lady's one can't stand a chance in that way too, I'm pretty bored of football where I'm completely neutral of what is happening on the pitch. I couldn't care less about WBA vs Stoke game for ex. and would never watch it on tv these days.

I'm surprised Manchester United don't have a women's team. It seems a bit unlike them to miss out on what could be good publicity.

I've got nothing against women playing football but just as I don't watch ladies boxing, I won't watch ladies football too. Nothing personal but I just can't heat up for something in my 40s and whole my life I'm used on football being played by men on the same way I'm used on athletics being mixed sport. That might change in the future but for our generation and those around it will always be the sport on the margin of interest spectre as much as I could try to be gender correct and try to speak what could sound nice and sweet.

But then again, I barely watch any football I'm not emotionally connected to these days, so lady's one can't stand a chance in that way too, I'm pretty bored of football where I'm completely neutral of what is happening on the pitch. I couldn't care less about WBA vs Stoke game for ex. and would never watch it on tv these days.

dont think its a generational thing, i am 47 and love watching the womens team

If I were Mark Sampson I'd get out of there fast because it's getting very political very fast, for whatever reason these players don't seem to like the discipline and he's caught with arguing with no way to win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.