World class right backs, a rare breed

• Thread starter Deleted member 14625
  • Start date
D D

Deleted member 14625

On the back of the left back thread I thought I'd add something that me n my Dad were talking about the other night.

We were watching Bayern v Inter and talking about Phillip Lahm, and how good, excellent, he is. Now he's actually a left back by trade but has been playing RB for a couple of years. He's the best RB in the world for me. Then I got tothinking that he's actually the only world class RB there is.

I don't rate either of the Brazilians Maicon or Alves. Maicon is pretty good at getting forward and pretty good at defending, not great at either and has little pace. Alves is a very good defender - underrated in this area - and as well as he plays going forward he gives the ball away more than any Barca player, and his crossing is completely shit. Xavi and Iniesta are contsantly having a go at him for it.

Then look around, I don't see any others who are of a world class standard. Yes there are some good, very good and excellent RB's around, but can you name any other world class RB's?

Lahm is probably my favourite too, though I rate Maicon and Alves as being close to him. Ramos is a good full-back, but I don't like him.

You have a point though, there really aren't too many world class ones. In our league, we've got some ranging from decent to good - Sagna, Rafael, Richards, Corluka, Johnson et al.

But overall, there aren't too many right at the top.

Oh, and Eboué. Can't forget Eboué.

Lahm is a RB right from the beginning. German clubs have a huge problem with a lack of proper LB, so Lahm had to play for some years on this position, until he was successful enough to demand his return to the right side.

Chelsea's Ivanovic is the best in the Prem in my opinion. And I have played a few games at FB, on either side.
I do like Micah's rampaging runs, this is so dangerous from the oppositions perspective as they are rarely picked up. He doesn't always get himself in good defensive positions, though. He dozes a bit.

Ruhr:

You're right about Bayern Munich problems at Left Back.They tried to sign Leighton Baines from the Everton in January but he said he didn't want to leave Merseyside!!! WHAT AN UTTER TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Had a chance to play for the German Giants and bottled it!

It just raises the age old question about why English players don't go to clubs on the Continent. Not good enough, lazy, Little Englander mentality or what??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.