Yaw Yeboah

That was my thought. All told the same but only he felt the need to Tweet it!

You also have this from Chidi Nwakali which would suggest Guardiola actually blocked a loan deal for Nwakali:
Celtic wanted to sign Chidiebere last week, but the club gave them a negative response,” said Allwell Nwakali (Chidi's older brother).

“The only thing stopping Chidiebere from playing for the Manchester City first team is work permit. Manchester City have plans for him because he was here (in Nigeria) for just a week and they called him back but in the end, they will be the ones to decide where he plays.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...man-city-nwakali-iheanacho-guardiola-11439069
https://www.naij.com/860964-man-city-set-name-nigerias-nwakali-next-seasons-first-team-squad.html

All this indicates to one of two things:
1. Guardiola wants to give all the youth players a proper look in (not just a glance, but a proper look) before he makes any further decisions;
2. Guardiola has pre-selected a group of youth and intends to give them a proper look in.

Lets not get overboard with the first team claims, but I think this is still big, as it suggests that Pep will treat the academy as something more than a loan factory. Which is a very welcome development. It could save City loads of money or let them go crazy on a few select players.

If there is one thing I truely admire him for is his approach to youth players. He really gives them a chance. And in all honesty there are only a few players in our current squad that can't be upstaged by talented youth: Aguero - albeit even him has Iheanacho as stark competition; de Bruyne; for the timebeing Otamendi; Silva; possibly Fernadinho and Gundogan. The rest I could see easily replaced by talented youngsters, if given the chance. Tottenham gave youth a chance and they finished second in the league.

---

On a side note Nwakali's younger brother Kelechi just joined Arsenal, apparently received the no 25 shirt (formerly Kanu's) and is supposed to be a first team player. That said he is the more talented of the brothers.

Imagine, at 16-18, getting a call from Pep saying he wants to see what you can do. The motivational impact of that, especially to those who may have doubted they'd get a chance, must be immense and will filter through the club.

You also have this from Chidi Nwakali which would suggest Guardiola actually blocked a loan deal for Nwakali:
Celtic wanted to sign Chidiebere last week, but the club gave them a negative response,” said Allwell Nwakali (Chidi's older brother).

“The only thing stopping Chidiebere from playing for the Manchester City first team is work permit. Manchester City have plans for him because he was here (in Nigeria) for just a week and they called him back but in the end, they will be the ones to decide where he plays.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...man-city-nwakali-iheanacho-guardiola-11439069
https://www.naij.com/860964-man-city-set-name-nigerias-nwakali-next-seasons-first-team-squad.html

All this indicates to one of two things:
1. Guardiola wants to give all the youth players a proper look in (not just a glance, but a proper look) before he makes any further decisions;
2. Guardiola has pre-selected a group of youth and intends to give them a proper look in.

Lets not get overboard with the first team claims, but I think this is still big, as it suggests that Pep will treat the academy as something more than a loan factory. Which is a very welcome development. It could save City loads of money or let them go crazy on a few select players.

If there is one thing I truely admire him for is his approach to youth players. He really gives them a chance. And in all honesty there are only a few players in our current squad that can't be upstaged by talented youth: Aguero - albeit even him has Iheanacho as stark competition; de Bruyne; for the timebeing Otamendi; Silva; possibly Fernadinho and Gundogan. The rest I could see easily replaced by talented youngsters, if given the chance. Tottenham gave youth a chance and they finished second in the league.

---

On a side note Nwakali's younger brother Kelechi just joined Arsenal, apparently received the no 25 shirt (formerly Kanu's) and is supposed to be a first team player. That said he is the more talented of the brothers.
Good post. If the strategy is 15 or so top players supplemented by excellent young players it is very exciting. It becomes a much more cost effective and sustainable model. Arsenal tried the young players without the top signings until recently Chelsea bought without bringing youth through. Pep can set up something now that can establish us as a huge force for many years to come.

Even though we need new players for the team I'm more excited about the fact we have a manager that will finally invest his time with the youth players.

Imagine, at 16-18, getting a call from Pep saying he wants to see what you can do. The motivational impact of that, especially to those who may have doubted they'd get a chance, must be immense and will filter through the club.
Imagine the first day back 20 odd players. "Oh so he said that to you too!"

He seems well down the pecking order compared to a few years ago?

Imo, it all went wrong for Ambrose when he landed awkwardly in that friendly game in Abu Dhabi, just sheer bad luck. That season we had several players who were on fire including, Ambrose, Barker, Boadu & two of them, Ambrose & Boadu, have been stop start with injuries ever since, wheras Barker ran out of steam a bit towards the end of that season & has been snubbed by Pellegrini which seems to have taken the edge off him.

People still talk about the performance of Sane v City around that time, which was indeed excellent, but for me, all 3 of those players produced several performances better during the course of that season. If I had to pick one out, it might actually be Ambrose vs the other German team (whoever it was) who were like full grown men & athletes, & he tore them a new arsehole playing as a wide striker, but was also tracking back 60 yards & tackling them.

I hope all 3 of those lads, plus others like Kean Bryan, at least get the courtesy from Pep of being good enough to merit a serious evaluation rather than just treated as pawns & some have a bit more luck with injuries.

You wonder if they'd got a shot at the first team then when they were really at it where they'd be now. Rashford has simply got the chance and taken it. Sadly I wonder if other younger players will get a chance ahead of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.