Yaya Toure signs one year extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the defending side, and I agree he isn't always effective, Yaya does have two attributes that a lot overlook, his height, he quite often clears the ball away from free kicks, and he quite often prevents a player getting passed because of his style, and he isn't scared to give away a cheap free kick.

His height is a asset that's for sure but if we sign Walker and Mendy in the fullback positions we won't be as reliant on it, especially considering our record at defending set pieces even with a team of midgets in general.

Our major weakness defensively as a team is the complete lack of pace and energy in the central midfield and fullback positions, affecting our pressing game and also recovery of position when we get caught on the break. Replacing our fullbacks will help but so will replacing Yaya.

We're not going to find many better in terms of ball retention against the bus parking teams but we have enough quality in other positions to overcome that negative I believe. The weakness outweighs the positive he brings for me.
Maybe for you, but not for me. We both know that we won't agree on Yaya. I personally think we have other midfielders who don't do their bit defensively. Personally, I'd like a defensive midfielder every game, but not at the expense of Toure, I'd bin one of KdB or Silva, who I see as very similar players - don't think we need them both on the pitch, and I don't think either can do what Toure does for us.

However, Guardiola will make the decision. God only knows how we'll line up next season, but it certainly won't be boring.

Our major weakness defensively as a team is the complete lack of pace and energy in the central midfield and fullback positions, affecting our pressing game and also recovery of position when we get caught on the break. Replacing our fullbacks will help but so will replacing Yaya.
I don't disagree, but I'd sooner see the full backs replaced (which is happening anwyay), and I think Yay does press reasonably well, its when he gets passed that the issues start, but 2 better fullbacks will help greatly there, so for me, if Pep wants him to stay, and all the signs are that he does, and Yaya feels he can still do a job, then we should find a way to keep him. I think he will suit certain games, and not others, but I'm happy with him staying for now, as I think we lose a lot when he goes, and I don't see anyone who can supply the passes he does to our attacking players.

Maybe for you, but not for me. We both know that we won't agree on Yaya. I personally think we have other midfielders who don't do their bit defensively. Personally, I'd like a defensive midfielder every game, but not at the expense of Toure, I'd bin one of KdB or Silva, who I see as very similar players - don't think we need them both on the pitch, and I don't think either can do what Toure does for us.

However, Guardiola will make the decision. God only knows how we'll line up next season, but it certainly won't be boring.

Haha we definitely won't agree if you'd drop one of KDB or Silva for Yaya, maybe it's you who needs sectioning.

I don't disagree, but I'd sooner see the full backs replaced (which is happening anwyay), and I think Yay does press reasonably well, its when he gets passed that the issues start, but 2 better fullbacks will help greatly there, so for me, if Pep wants him to stay, and all the signs are that he does, and Yaya feels he can still do a job, then we should find a way to keep him. I think he will suit certain games, and not others, but I'm happy with him staying for now, as I think we lose a lot when he goes, and I don't see anyone who can supply the passes he does to our attacking players.

I'm not saying he's the only one guilty, far from it but you cannot say he presses reasonably well, that's just an outright lie.

I'd drop one of them for a defensive midfielder, not Yaya. One of them shouldn't be on the teamsheet in front of him, the other definitely should.

So would you play Yaya and a defensive midfielder as a two? Or play Yaya as one of the two attacking midfielders?

So would you play Yaya and a defensive midfielder as a two? Or play Yaya as one of the two attacking midfielders?
I'd play Toure in most games. He's far, far too good not to start. He's our most influential player, he runs games. Not as easy on the eye as some others, but far more influential. The likes of Sane, KdB and Jesus will be more influential in years to come, as they all look like they could change games as they have something in their locker.

Listen, you fucking hate the guy, and I like him, so what's the point in a discussion, we'll never agree.

I'd play Toure in most games. He's far, far too good not to start. He's our most influential player, he runs games. Not as easy on the eye as some others, but far more influential.
Well I agree with you anyway. He's capable of controlling a game that might be tight for me, just because he has a clever footballing brain, as good as he is KdB, doesn't do that, and keeps trying the glory pass, when the simple one would be more suitable for the situation.

I don't have the repertoire of YouTube videos to post to show Yaya 'pressing reasonably', and I've no intention of trying to find any, as I'm busy at work, but I don't think 2 proves that he doesn't either.

Well I agree with you anyway. He's capable of controlling a game that might be tight for me, just because he has a clever footballing brain, as good as he is KdB, doesn't do that, and keeps trying the glory pass, when the simple one would be more suitable for the situation.

I don't have the repertoire of YouTube videos to post to show Yaya 'pressing reasonably', and I've no intention of trying to find any, as I'm busy at work, but I don't think 2 proves that he doesn't either.

Yes I kind of agree one of Yayas strong points is ball retention which is also one of KDBs weaknesses (in certain situations).

Although personally I'd rather have a potential match winner (KDB) on the pitch in tight games, I suppose it boils down to the risk/reward thing and personally preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.