Yaya Toure - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone doubt when he got the ball back from Sergio that he would score?

117 passes tonight and he only played 80 mins, that is running the game.

City would be mental to let him go.

I know you're a big fan of Yaya. Yaya is definitely one of the best four midfielders ever to play for City. And the player rightly deserves an extension. If Yaya wants it I'm sure he will get an extension. I surely wouldn't mind.
If he doesn't stay I'm sure we can cope without him. He would be a great asset to the squad but with Gundogan fit his minutes on the pitch will be limited.

As much as he was brilliant last night for most of the game, there were a few times we had counter attacks and the ball got to Yaya and it was like he was running in slow motion, and it was just a stark reminder that while he's still got the skill, the body is going.

He should get offered a new contract on much reduced wages, but we also desperately need to replace him in the summer too.

As a squad player, an old experienced head who's well respected in the dressing room, mentors the younger players and can play like he did last night when called upon, he's invaluable. As our first choice defensive midfielder he'd be a liability that holds us back over the season.

He makes his goals look so easy. Those first and second touches last night before the finish were exquisite, I'm not sure any other player in our squad could have taken it like that and then applied the cool finish.

I'm easy on a new contract, it's a situation we can't really lose in my eyes so long as if he does go we have a replacement in mind.

As much as he was brilliant last night for most of the game, there were a few times we had counter attacks and the ball got to Yaya and it was like he was running in slow motion, and it was just a stark reminder that while he's still got the skill, the body is going.

He should get offered a new contract on much reduced wages, but we also desperately need to replace him in the summer too.

As a squad player, an old experienced head who's well respected in the dressing room, mentors the younger players and can play like he did last night when called upon, he's invaluable. As our first choice defensive midfielder he'd be a liability that holds us back over the season.

He'd beat Tony Kroos in a sprint back & probably would if he was 50.

Because Yaya is big & strong, people expect him to do stuff certain other 'world class' players, don't even attempt to do. Imo, it's about how the rest of the team is set up.

Last season, playing him in a wide open 442, fat & unfit, was one of the most stupid, clueless, things I have ever seen in all my years watching football, but if this team now was pressing & covering as Pep wants, with forwards & fullbacks winning the ball in midfield, I think it's no problem for Yaya at all, especially if we sign more athletic players to help.

He isn't a player that should be left to track younger fitter runners through midfield, but he never has been.

He successfully pressed West Brom on many occasions last night & helped us win the ball in their 3rd & has proved he can do that side of things, if the team is functioning as it should.

He'd beat Tony Kroos in a sprint back & probably would if he was 50.

Because Yaya is big & strong, people expect him to do stuff certain other 'world class' players, don't even attempt to do. Imo, it's about how the rest of the team is set up.

Last season, playing him in a wide open 442, fat & unfit, was one of the most stupid, clueless, things I have ever seen in all my years watching football, but if this team now was pressing & covering as Pep wants, with forwards & fullbacks winning the ball in midfield, I think it's no problem for Yaya at all, especially if we sign more athletic players to help.

He isn't a player that should be left to track younger fitter runners through midfield, but he never has been.

He successfully pressed West Brom on many occasions last night & helped us win the ball in their 3rd & has proved he can do that side of things, if the team is functioning as it should.

Firstly I don't think that's true, I doubt he'd beat Kroos in a sprint now, and I'm not sure why it is you always bring up Kroos' speed. Secondly, Kroos isn't the player who gets and starts the counterattacks at the base of midfield, that's Modric who is more than fast enough to get the ball, run at pace and then deliver the killer ball which Yaya can't. Kroos isn't the defensive midfielder who cuts out attacks, that's Casemiro.

So what you seem to be saying with the Kroos example is that Yaya can't play at the base of midfield, which then runs counter to your point.

Even then, yes he can do it against on-holiday, expecting to lose mid-table fodder in the league, no one doubts that. The problem will come against Monaco, when Pep felt he had to drop him, or against Chelsea when he had to drop him twice. I imagine if Fernandinho wasn't suspended he'd not have seen the Spurs game either, or the Everton disaster.

Fact is, Pep's dropped him against serious opposition whenever possible, and we need a player who can do most of what Yaya does, the thoughtful distribution, the absorbing pressure etc. but do it in the big games too, which he seemingly doesn't have the legs for - or at least Guardiola seems to think he doesn't have the legs for, which is the real problem because we are a shadow of the team in possession with Fernandinho replacing Yaya for big games.

I'd like to have that player, while still keeping Yaya around.

Firstly I don't think that's true, I doubt he'd beat Kroos in a sprint now, but secondly, Kroos isn't the player who gets and starts the counterattacks at the base of midfield, that's Modric who is more than fast enough to get the ball, run at pace and then deliver the killer ball which Yaya can't.

The problem will come against Monaco, when Pep felt he had to drop him, or against Chelsea when he had to drop him twice. I imagine if Fernandinho wasn't suspended he'd not have seen the Spurs game either, or the Everton disaster.

Fact is, Pep's dropped him against serious opposition whenever possible, and we need a player who can do most of what Yaya does, the thoughtful distribution, the absorbing pressure etc. but do it in the big games too, which he seemingly doesn't have the legs for - or at least Guardiola seems to think he doesn't have the legs for, which is the real problem because we are a shadow of the team in possession with Fernandinho replacing Yaya for big games.

But Kroos plays for Real Madrid & is nothing in a conflict, is my point (I don't think he'd beat me in a sprint never mind Yaya). Yaya can do the same, if the players around him are the correct balance.

But Kroos plays for Real Madrid & is nothing in a conflict, is my point (I don't think he'd beat me in a sprint never mind Yaya). Yaya can do the same, if the players around him are the correct balance.

Sorry I edited to expand on the Kroos point, so I'll put the bit I added in here:

Kroos isn't the player who gets and starts the counterattacks at the base of midfield, that's Modric who is more than fast enough to get the ball, run at pace and then deliver the killer ball which Yaya can't. Kroos isn't the defensive midfielder who cuts out attacks, that's Casemiro.

So what you seem to be saying with the Kroos example is that Yaya can't play at the base of midfield, he has to play instead of either Silva or De Bruyne with a proper defensive midfielder behind him.

That player is basically Gundogan, who we know is a big Pep favourite with him being the first player he wanted when he took over, so there's no place for Yaya if you want him to be like Kroos.

Sorry I edited to expand on the Kroos point, so I'll put the bit I added in here:

Kroos isn't the player who gets and starts the counterattacks at the base of midfield, that's Modric who is more than fast enough to get the ball, run at pace and then deliver the killer ball which Yaya can't. Kroos isn't the defensive midfielder who cuts out attacks, that's Casemiro.

So what you seem to be saying with the Kroos example is that Yaya can't play at the base of midfield, he has to play instead of either Silva or De Bruyne with a proper defensive midfielder behind him.

That player is basically Gundogan, who we know is a big Pep favourite with him being the first player he wanted when he took over, so there's no place for Yaya if you want him to be like Kroos.

I don't believe there has to be a set formula of who plays which position. Pick it to suit the opposition on the day. If that means playing both Yaya & Gundogan & leaving out Silva or leaving out Gundogan or leaving out Yaya, do it. Just make sure the team is balanced.

Personally I would pick Yaya ahead of Gundogan in almost any position, but that's upto Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.