Your first City match?

Mick Channons debut in August 77.....

Went with a few mates from school who kept going on about the noise when City scored....told me I would be deafened - waited anxiously for this ear splitting noise....

Final score - 0-0 !

But I was hooked

January 1973,dad took me as a birthday treat and we won 1-0 vs Birmingham. I think it was a Franny Lee penalty, so much to take in for an 8 year old, went regularly after that, what a roller coaster over the years. Dads gone now but he would have loved the way we are playing now and would have taken no sh1t from bitter rags etc about money blah blah.

City v Palace, FA Cup 3rd round, 3rd January 1981. In the North Stand with my Dad, wondering who this last with the bell was at the front, and why my Dad was so angry with the Palace manager that day. 4-0, and thinking this is what it was like every week.

Well, it's a strange one, because I have the programme from it, still – that's a real period piece in itself, the graphics, the journalism, everything, just another millenium! – but no memory of the actual match whatsoever. Us against Coventry, 9th March 1968. I sometimes think that what happened was that someone went to the match and gave me the programme. Not sure.The family had moved from north London to Manchester that winter, because my stepfather had been appointed to run Culver's Car Mart, just down the road in Rusholme. Manchester was another world, for a southerner like me. I'd never actually seen tripe and onions before (and didn't much like it when I tried it).
So the first really clear memory would have to be the derby, 17 August of the same year. I think that's my one and only time I sat in the Platt Lane stand, and unless my memory's playing tricks on me, there were still the wooden benches, not proper seats. I distinctly remember looking across to the Kippax and thinking what a fuck load of red and white scarves you could see on it. In those days, of course, all terraces were completely mixed. There was nothing to stop you going on the Kop wearing your blue, white and maroon scarf if you felt like it (and didn't set a particularly high value on your life…)
Hang on, I tell a lie! Us against West Brom in the Charity Shield, of course, a couple of weeks before. That was still, to this day, the slickest dead ball goal I've ever seen scored, I think. Franny finished it off. I was astounded. No wonder one of our nicknames was the City slickers at the time.
Good times, and I never looked back. I got into football as a result of 1966 – no-one in my family was a football fan, let alone a City fan, and to be honest I hadn't paid much attention to footy or sport in general until then – and I'd fished around, going to matches on my own, mainly supporting Chelsea at the time (the best pure ball player that I've ever seen, by the way, and yes, that includes Best: Charlie Cook). The absolute first league match that I ever went to was Tottenham vs Liverpool. That would have been in 67. Dark winter afternoon, the floodlights came on, the rain was drifting down, the beautiful contrast of the red and white kits, and I remember just thinking that the experience of being at a football match was the most magical thing I'd experienced.

Well, it's a strange one, because I have the programme from it, still – that's a real period piece in itself, the graphics, the journalism, everything, just another millenium! – but no memory of the actual match whatsoever. Us against Coventry, 9th March 1968. I sometimes think that what happened was that someone went to the match and gave me the programme. Not sure.The family had moved from north London to Manchester that winter, because my stepfather had been appointed to run Culver's Car Mart, just down the road in Rusholme. Manchester was another world, for a southerner like me. I'd never actually seen tripe and onions before (and didn't much like it when I tried it).
So the first really clear memory would have to be the derby, 17 August of the same year. I think that's my one and only time I sat in the Platt Lane stand, and unless my memory's playing tricks on me, there were still the wooden benches, not proper seats. I distinctly remember looking across to the Kippax and thinking what a fuck load of red and white scarves you could see on it. In those days, of course, all terraces were completely mixed. There was nothing to stop you going on the Kop wearing your blue, white and maroon scarf if you felt like it (and didn't set a particularly high value on your life…)
Hang on, I tell a lie! Us against West Brom in the Charity Shield, of course, a couple of weeks before. That was still, to this day, the slickest dead ball goal I've ever seen scored, I think. Franny finished it off. I was astounded. No wonder one of our nicknames was the City slickers at the time.
Good times, and I never looked back. I got into football as a result of 1966 – no-one in my family was a football fan, let alone a City fan, and to be honest I hadn't paid much attention to footy or sport in general until then – and I'd fished around, going to matches on my own, mainly supporting Chelsea at the time (the best pure ball player that I've ever seen, by the way, and yes, that includes Best: Charlie Cook). The absolute first league match that I ever went to was Tottenham vs Liverpool. That would have been in 67. Dark winter afternoon, the floodlights came on, the rain was drifting down, the beautiful contrast of the red and white kits, and I remember just thinking that the experience of being at a football match was the most magical thing I'd experienced.

Great post. Unless I am being clarkied were there not the same wooden benches up to 1993? Yellow, Maroon and Blue??

City 2 Sunderland 2 in 1982. I was 9. i remember saying to my dad "there's a lot of United fans here for a City game". He just laughed. Years later I realised we were singing "who the f×ck are man united?" not "glory glory"

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3171

Stoke home 76-77 season, aged 9. My dad was a red and had just about forgiven me for telling him United were shit when they lost the FA Cup final to Southampton, I had to leap over the garden fence as he chased me up the street he was so pissed off. I was allowed to go and watch with my Uncle and cousins who were Blues. 0-0 draw after all that, went again same season 1 more time QPR yet again 0-0, think Tueart missed 2 pens and I actually saw Mike Lester play! Finally saw us win for the first time the next season vs Norwich Channon scored 2 in a 4-1 win. First season ticket 1981-82 season when at Xmas I thought we were going to win the league...

City v Watford, Maine Road (FA Cup)
1-1

It was f**king freezing. John Barnes came out for the second half wearing tights and gloves. Fanny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.