Youth or Success

BadApple

The two in my opinion are very difficult to acheive in the modern world of fottball and being a big club. I’d rather success everyday of the week I’m not bothered where the players come from as long as they are dedicated and provide entertaining football. All I keep reading is that we don’t give tomorrow’s future a chance. I trust the professionals at the club who are employed for their skills and who see our youth day in and day out too many people play FIFA/Football Manager and think they can spot talent because they’ve played a few computer games. At the end of the day if a player is good enough and willing to learn their trade the hard way they will make it if not get rid simple. Give the academy time to bed in and in 4 or 5 years time we should start to reap some benefits, but don’t be surprised if at least 90% of the youth are sold it will take crazy talent to break through and maybe like 1 player every 3 years.

Big clubs use academies to make money with the off chance they might get someone through to the first team, it's always been that way hasn't it?

The idea that the two are mutually exclusive is 100% categorically wrong.

Both and we have invested huge amounts in both.

The better your team gets the harder it is to bring youth through - I would have that was fairly obvious.
If your team is shit it's easy to bring alot of youth through eg Villa.

Problem nowadays is that for someone like ourselves, unless the player coming through is already close to world class he won't get the game time to progress so most players will have to likely go on multiple loans to try and develop themselves close to that world class level, the main issue there is it could take them until their early to mid twenties to do so.

The loan system is flawed because the manager turn over at most clubs now is very high, especially in the lower divisions. This is where B teams are great ideas because it gives the young players opportunities to develop regardless of manager turn over because the system of play/ philosophy of the club remains the same and therefore gives a good development ground for a young player.

Once that young player has developed himself to a level where his development doesn't need to be interrupted as much and can be influenced by system changes, various loans could be the answer then to experience new ideas and develop further.

Unless we have a golden generation coming through like United and Ajax in the early to mid 90's or Barcelona in the early to mid 2000's then I think it would be an achievement to bring two or three through every 5 years or so.

Two or three coming through is not far off what Bayern have done as in the last 5 years they brought through and established Muller, Alaba and Kroos, before that they had Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Badstuber etc... If we can replicate that then I think we will have achieved our objective. Even two or three in 5 years is going to be very tough though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.