Youth or Success

When you see Barca bringing through the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Pique, Busquets, Messi, etc... it has to be possible to do it here too. It just depends on how committed the club are to achieving success that way.

Players like that don't go on trees. How many have Barca put through since then? They can't get them in the team. It was a one off generation.

Why haven't United kept on bringing through players of the calibre of Beckham and Scholes from that 92 youth side? Because they aren't there. The best they got through was Pogba and Ferguson messed that up.

Well we won nothing last season and didnt play and youth, so I dont see how the two are exclusive.

Answering the question, pretty obvious everyone would want us to win league rather than see 11 youth players on the pitch but there has to be a middle ground somewhere. I remember in those end of season videos Khaldoon said the long term aim was for half the team to be acadamy graduates.

Last edited:
Well we won nothing last season and didnt play and youth, so I dont see how the two are exclusive.

Answering the question, pretty obvious everyone would want us to win league rather than see 11 youth players on the pitch but there has to be a middle ground somewhere. I remember in those end of season videos Khaldoon said the long term aim was for half the team to be acadamy graduates.
There is no "middle ground". Success, trophies, pots, smashing the fucking life out of all and sundry, whilst watching the best players in the world play for my team. I watched endless shite, endless years of utter biz, endless years of everyone lording it over us. So, thanks but no thanks. Give me success. Any day and every day.

There is no "middle ground". Success, trophies, pots, smashing the fucking life out of all and sundry, whilst watching the best players in the world play for my team. I watched endless shite, endless years of utter biz, endless years of everyone lording it over us. So, thanks but no thanks. Give me success. Any day and every day.
As i said the two arnt exclusive. We won fuck all last season and zero youth players played. Lopes would probably have contributed more than what navas did last season, so I dont really get the idea if we play youth we wont win anything.

Im sure the long term aim of the club is to promote youth, why else would they spend all that money on cfa.

Exactly. Barca haven't brought anyone through properly for a fair few years now because they've got world class players in every position. They had a one off generation in Messi/Iniesta/Xavi/Busquets etc. They even sold Thiago because he couldn't get a game ahead of the those last three.

How much of that was due to club philosophy from then president Joan Laporta, and from managers Rijkaard and Pep who were dedicated to incorporating youth players and given them a chance? Under a different president, with a different club philosophy, and a different manager—all with more short-term thinking—would they all get the same opportunities? Or would they be sold with hopes of buying back later? Busquets in particular benefited from Barca's youth policy. The other three would be legends anywhere, but Busquets, not to take anything away from his immense talents, is ideally suited to Barca's style and would not necessarily be successful in another system. Yet, at Barca, he was able to take Yaya's spot, in part because of giving youth a chance and in part because Busquets better suits Barca's style.

Notice that when Laporta was replaced, and then even moreso when Pep left, youth struggled to get minutes, including previously hyped talents like Deulofeu, Thiago, Tello, Montoya, Traoré, Roberto, Dongou, and even once crucial starter Pedro was pushed aside. Now perhaps those players were overhyped. Arguably only Thiago has really proven himself to be a top talent outside of Barca (thus far). Or perhaps they could have only really thrived in Barca's system, like Busquets. We may never know.

The trick is to bring youth through when you are successful, giving players a chance of the bench when you're 2 or 3-0 up, seeing what they are capable of i.e. can they beat a man, can they tackle etc... Then its about when to put them in the starting line-up, trusting them to start when one of your starting XI is injured or in a game against a 'weaker' side, not doing this is what caused the Rags to lose Pogba and we have to make sure we don't make the same mistakes.

For the time being its about success, the youth aspect will come eventually.

I like most Manc City fans hope to see a local lad captain our club to success but until then I'm happy to see our adopted Manc Vincent lead us.
With the opening of the CFA I do believe the chances of us discovering the next Gascoigne ,Scholes or even Colin Bell are much higher , and now we don't have to sell any promising youth players as in the Swales era , the possibility of seeing one of our own is very much higher. Any young lad with bundles of talent would be in awe of the CFA and inspired by the surroundings and staff within hopefully will achieve his potential.

There is no connection between the two.

It's all a load of nonsense. There are very few top sides in history who haven't actually brought through young players. It's just that if you can spend 40 million quid on every position, you don't need to. That's the top & bottom of it.

The idea that managers & coaches can look at these players & know for sure which ones amongst the best of them will make it, & which ones won't, is also complete bullshit. If you were to get the lesser known quotes of every manager & coach in the history of football, including Allison, Ferguson, all of them, you will find them talking complete bollocks about certain young players. Ferguson for instance told everyone how Utd were set up for the future with their young players. Wenger signed Jermaine Pennant.

I've made this point elsewhere & been told how I know nothing & that these people are professionals so I should just accept that they do, then there's 100 posts laughing at Utd for signing a 19 year old kid for 50 mil because OF COURSE they don't know if he will be good enough. OF COURSE they don't. If they say they do, they are fucking lying.

They will find out over the next couple of years if he is good enough. Same with Depay.

And Pellegrini is in exactly he same situation with our best prospects. Neither he nor Vieira know if Lopes or Denayer or Roberts or Barker etc etc will make it. They just have a best guess. The proof comes when they play in the team for a period of time.

Bringing some from the subs bench to try & learn to play i the first team, involves no risk whatsoever. Never has, never will.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.