Youth or Success

When you see Barca bringing through the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Pique, Busquets, Messi, etc... it has to be possible to do it here too. It just depends on how committed the club are to achieving success that way.

Barca have a considerable advantage in that La Liga contains a number of dead rubber teams who they could play their u-12 team against and still win by double digits.

As does the PL.

Got to disagree there. Watford are many pundits' picks to go straight back down - some even to finish last - and yet they came to our ground and played a very tight defensive game in the first half last weekend. Granted they couldn't maintain it in the second half, but they were looking decent and really restricting us. That's the kind of thing you just don't get from relegation bait in the other leagues around Europe - especially La Liga, where teams seem to attempt to play attacking football no matter their opponent, leading to some ridiculous batterings happening multiple times a season, and allowing the likes of Messi and Ronaldo to score 60 goals a year.

Got to disagree there. Watford are many pundits' picks to go straight back down - some even to finish last - and yet they came to our ground and played a very tight defensive game in the first half last weekend. Granted they couldn't maintain it in the second half, but they were looking decent and really restricting us. That's the kind of thing you just don't get from relegation bait in the other leagues around Europe - especially La Liga, where teams seem to attempt to play attacking football no matter their opponent, leading to some ridiculous batterings happening multiple times a season, and allowing the likes of Messi and Ronaldo to score 60 goals a year.

Granted Barcelona could send their u12 team and beat a number of dead rubber teams in the PL by double digits.
They have matches that are tight against smaller clubs as do Real but you just don't watch those matches.
Both leagues had 2.77 goals a match last year, there are freak results in both leagues and a hell of a lot of closer matches.

As always in these threads, the best opinions come from the lads who actually watch our youth teams

Sadly the days (for PL clubs) in producing a crop of youngsters from the immediate area, coming through the ranks, having a good shot at the youth cup and making the first team / beyond are long gone.
There was tremendous pride in seeing Lakey, Redmond et al coming through as they did in 86 - 90 but they came through out of neccesity because the club was on its knees financially.
Would I want to watch those players again thrash the rags 5-1 (the only time they beat the rags) or watch Yaya and co regularily beat them 1-0, 1-6, 4-1, 1-2, 1-0, 0-3 etc etc on top of winning a few silver pots along the way....

Ferguson managed it.
It took him about 6 or 7 years to get the set up for it and even then, they were lucky with the quality. I think a large part of it is in the mentality of the players. I shamefully read Neville's book and he goes into the youth setup a lot and says that some of the more talented players didn't make it.

The hub of the team - Beckham, Scholes, Giggs etc were being pushed ridiculously hard by the coaching staff. Ferguson was ridiculously harsh on them but they had a desire that he believes doesn't exist as strongly in today's game. Mainly because players can become multi millionaires without winning a trophy.

They were told they had a small chance of making it at United and a few of them took it. At City, we have the infastructure in place but until someone is given the chance, the other younger players may lack the belief that they can make it at City, but also know they can make a superb living playing at a different club.

It would be nice to see, but as gutted as I am about Lopes leaving and Denayer having to go out on loan, I don't think I will really care if we win the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.