Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait

johnny on the spot

Anyone else catch this on BBC 2 last night?

Crazy premise for a film, but oddly compelling to watch. The quotes from the man himself (shown intermittently on screen) sometimes verge on the Cantona-esque, but it's a lot more insightful than any football film I've seen in a long time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNPDlzF4Wg[/youtube]

It's certainly not the sort of film you'd just stick on with a few mates round, but I really enjoyed it. It felt sometimes almost like watching a high class nature documentary.

yeah i watched it, miseed the first 8 minutes though, did i miss anything or was it all much of the same?

I thought it was a bit rubbish at the time but i have been thinking about it all today. Very arty-farty. It didn't go down the cliched route of portraying him as a tortured genius though, in fact it didn't try and suggest anything at all.

Which was unusual and interesting.

It walked a fine line between film and footage. There's no plot or story, it's just 'Here's Zidane, playing football'. Because so much hype and attention is devoted to him off the pitch it was refreshing just to watch him play football.

The greatest player to ever grace the game, in my opinion of course. He will always be remembered for his sending off against Italy by many, but what he did after that will stay with me. Take a ban when you have already retired from the game or teach kids your knowledge for a period of time. ZZ chose the latter. What a guy.

I didn't watch it but in the Week I watched one of those 50 best/worst of World Cup moments. In this, Zidane's Headbutt on Materrazi was the number one World Cup moment of controversy. The Presenter implied that Materrazi may not have called his Mother or Sister a Whore; and that what happened was something else entirely.

Lippi who was the Italian Manager but had previously managed Zidane at Juventus told Matterazi to mention a certain incident that had happened during his Juve days - and lets see if he reacts.

If this is true what was the incident or what was rumoured to be the incident???

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.