Zonal Marking: City need an intelligent regista for Europe

Blue Haze

The lack of a key creator from central midfield was vital, however. City have all the talent in the world in the final third, but it’s arguable that, in Europe, an intelligent ‘regista’ is the most important weapon a side needs.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/23/napoli-2-1-manchester-city-tactics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/23/ ... y-tactics/</a>

We need a deep-lying playmaker according to Zonal Marking, not just in Napoli but Europe in general. And except for the occasions when Yaya sits back and sprays the odd pass to the wing, we don't really have one.

Thoughts?

Montolivo? I'm always wary of "traditional" Italian players in England but he is good... but would it be Aquilani mkII?

Sort of agree with this. I think Yaya could be that player but last night his passing seemed to be off and he seemed to take to long and allow napoli to keep it tight. The game was crying out for us to speed up the passing but we just seemed to have this attitude that the opportunity would present itself.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
It's Yaya
This. Yaya Toures range of passing is up there with the best.

Man City have won 11 of their 12 matches. They just happen to be drawn into a monster group.

Yaya Toures wonderful ball over the top to Ballotelli should have given Man City a good result away at Napoli, it just happened that Mario missed and now Man City need another midfielder lol.

Deep lying playmaker or playmaker is absolutely crucial in Europe. The teams that found regular success in Europe in the past decade have had the best playmakers.

Think Liverpool - Alonso, Barcelona - Xavi, Milan - Pirlo, Manchester United - Scholes, Arsenal - Fabregas.

I can see Silva in the role, but he would have to drop a little deeper, and become more central, perform the Sneijder role ala Inter 09/10.

VanPersie said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
It's Yaya
This. Yaya Toures range of passing is up there with the best.

Man City have won 11 of their 12 matches. They just happen to be drawn into a monster group.

Yaya Toures wonderful ball over the top to Ballotelli should have given Man City a good result away at Napoli, it just happened that Mario missed and now Man City need another midfielder lol.

Yes great ball by Yaya, but no miss from Mario, if anything he hit it too well, great vision to find a fantastic run!

I've been saying this for years. We'll eventually get one too and De Jong will find himself a squad player

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.