Zonal ?

brian the blue said:
its stupid anyway, we have every player back in the box... rarely win a header and on the small occasion we do it goes out of the box and straight back to them - it invites a lot of pressure on us.

we should put a few of the smaller players (SWP , Ireland , Tevez , Bellamy etc) on the half way line thereby making them put 3 or 4 back too and so making our box less congested chaotic and easier for our defenders to jump and Given to come and punch/catch the ball

alib said:
We should put a few of the smaller players (SWP, Ireland, Tevez, Bellamy etc) on the half way line

Instead of putting SWP in front of Delap's throw-in, for example. What the...?

As for Ireland, he was in front of Fuller, watching the ball. He suddenly realised that Fuller was goind behind him to meet the throw-in, and did absolutely nothing. Disappointing, to say the least.

bluemanc said:
bluemoonste said:
Totally agree.
Same here.a back 4 like the old arsenal one that had played together for donkey's years MAY have cracked it, but it's an awful way to defend set pieces.

I'm sorry, remind me how many goals we have conceded from it since it was first used under Mancini and then tell me how many goals we conceded from man marking when Hughes was here BOTH with the same players.

Every single player apart from Shay was within three yards of the penalty spot sometimes yesterday when we were defending, I've never ever seen anything like that at any level of football! At home against Stoke surely we ought to leave SOMEONE up? They left one up and we had three back to cover! Strange!

I don't think we have conceded a goal to a corner since we started to use the Zonal marking, I'v been impressed with it.
The delap throwing was poor but we still look better defending corners and set plays under Mancini than when MH was in charge.

Immaculate Pasta said:
bluemanc said:
Same here.a back 4 like the old arsenal one that had played together for donkey's years MAY have cracked it, but it's an awful way to defend set pieces.

I'm sorry, remind me how many goals we have conceded from it since it was first used under Mancini and then tell me how many goals we conceded from man marking when Hughes was here BOTH with the same players.
We will compare notes at the end of next season,keep a check on the stats.

to be honest our defending of set pieces under Hughes was abysmal

Im a fan of it, its easier to mark your zone and deal with the ball if it comes into it than it is to follow your man around the area. I think its work well up to now for us bar yesterday.

The thing I dont like is having every single player back, we're at our best on the counter attack and that is the one thing I dont like about mancini's tactics as it takes that element away from us. Other than that I think he is doing a decent job, a tad negative but to he's proved those tactics work with the right players for that system. I believe he doesn't have all the right tools for the system he wants to play. We miss a box to box midfielder, the system wouldnt be so negative having a driving midfielder to play in those three who can attack as well as defend, barry and dejong arent that kind of player our only hope is viera still has the legs in the prem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.