A stint in Darwin, OZ

I

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Along similar lines I've just told my mate who works in Warrington to move to Paphos and commute!!

;-)

Nope, Darwin it is for better or worse. Assuming the Aussie government let me in again it's a done deal.

At one point it was looking like a stint in the Middle East beckoned, so it has to be better than that...right?

Its okay mate, just not much going on, there are some spetacular places you can visit like Kakadu etc
It has a country town feel and I noticed you see more aboriginal people than any other Oz city.
We are actually sailing into Darwin in 2 weeks, right round the tip of Cape York which is stunning.
The temp is OK from may till October but gets a bit hot over summer.

Last edited:
You can't ride a snowmobile there. No ice fishing. No Tim Hortons. I'd pass.
Snowmobilers are just red neck yee haa's with money. Ice fishing involves staring at a hole...and is what snowmobilers do when they're not snowmobiling in an attempt to outsmart beings of equivalent intelligence (fish). Tim Hortons is without question the most overrated coffee shop on the planet...and regularly frequented by snowmobilers.

You've just sold it to me.

;-)

Its okay mate, just not much going on, there are some spetacular places you can visit like Kakadu etc
It has a country town feel and I noticed you see more aboriginal people than any other Oz city.
We are actually sailing into Darwin in 2 weeks, right round the tip of Cape York which is stunning.
The temp is OK from may till October but gets a bit hot over summer.
As long as the kids can play some sport, do some swimming, see some wildlife and I can drink some cold beers on hot days, we'll make it work for a year. I live in a sedate country town now...and it works for where we're at with the kids. Just have to make the most of it.

Snowmobilers are just red neck yee haa's with money. Ice fishing involves staring at a hole...and is what snowmobilers do when they're not snowmobiling in an attempt to outsmart beings of equivalent intelligence (fish). Tim Hortons is without question the most overrated coffee shop on the planet...and regularly frequented by snowmobilers.

You've just sold it to me.

;-)

I would just like to say that I have never been on a snowmobile and have been ice fishing twice.
I do however get me a Timmies every morning on my way to work from the drive through.
Medium regular, if your buying.

As long as the kids can play some sport, do some swimming, see some wildlife and I can drink some cold beers on hot days, we'll make it work for a year. I live in a sedate country town now...and it works for where we're at with the kids. Just have to make the most of it.

You wont be doing much swimming in the NT mate, its not like the rest of Oz where everyones on the beach surfing etc. The national parks are stunning but again you have to watch out for the crocs. Most people are however happy to swim with the freshies as they pose little threat.

Try and visit the bigger cities if you get chance as the difference between Darwin and Sydney is like comparing Buxton to London.

Enjoy.

You wont be doing much swimming in the NT mate, its not like the rest of Oz where everyones on the beach surfing etc. The national parks are stunning but again you have to watch out for the crocs. Most people are however happy to swim with the freshies as they pose little threat.

Try and visit the bigger cities if you get chance as the difference between Darwin and Sydney is like comparing Buxton to London.

Enjoy.
There's a great area for swimming near the beach, this massive pool that has a huge wave machine, kids love it
There are lots of pools your kids can swim in

There's a great area for swimming near the beach, this massive pool that has a huge wave machine, kids love it
There are lots of pools your kids can swim in

As there are in the UK although your probably banned from most of them, I assumed he was talking about the Ocean/river.

Last edited:
I would just like to say that I have never been on a snowmobile and have been ice fishing twice.
I do however get me a Timmies every morning on my way to work from the drive through.
What do you mean you've never ridden a sled? Heathen!..OK on the ice fishing, pretty boring and I've seen quite a few pickups nose down through the ice to where they're not coming back out. As for coffee shacks we've vot all kinds of little road side sheds selling good coffee, normally staffed by hotties with degrees in liberal science who moved out west with a trust fund to live on the wild side, annoying but fun to look at

If you think I'm queuing for 30 minutes to buy you a 'coffee' you're sadly mistaken. Reckon I could stick some roadside dirty water in a timmies cup and you'd be none the wiser.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.