Sky Sports Viewing Figures Down?

So are you saying Sky should only show the self-proclaimed "big-clubs", you know, the ones with all that 'istree?

No, but they should charge accordingly to what they broadcast, and like it or not, from a commercial point of view, Swansea vs Hull isn't going to get enough punters into a pub to justify the cost.

For all their "super sunday" "mersey monday" hype attempts, there's really only 6 teams that will get people in the doors. They don't have to be playing each other, but if City are playing Everton and sky choose to televise West Brom vs Bournemoth that day, well Sky only have themselves to blame if pubs are empty and unhappy and thousands are online looking for the game they want to watch.

I know a bar that pays 1800 a month. So that's 18 pints he has to sell just to pay it. That's not taking into account his overheads, his mark up etc.
What sky don't realise is for example, a 12-30 Saturday kick off may draw the crowd in but not as many as they think should be. Yet this impacts on the evening crew as most punters are bevvied out so won't take the other half out.

I know a bar that pays 1800 a month. So that's 18 pints he has to sell just to pay it. That's not taking into account his overheads, his mark up etc.
What sky don't realise is for example, a 12-30 Saturday kick off may draw the crowd in but not as many as they think should be. Yet this impacts on the evening crew as most punters are bevvied out so won't take the other half out.
Fuckin hell £100 for a pint, I'd drink somewhere else if I were you

No, but they should charge accordingly to what they broadcast, and like it or not, from a commercial point of view, Swansea vs Hull isn't going to get enough punters into a pub to justify the cost.

For all their "super sunday" "mersey monday" hype attempts, there's really only 6 teams that will get people in the doors. They don't have to be playing each other, but if City are playing Everton and sky choose to televise West Brom vs Bournemoth that day, well Sky only have themselves to blame if pubs are empty and unhappy and thousands are online looking for the game they want to watch.

i dont agree with that. sky should be showing a variety of games, not just the top clubs or perceived top games. i used to hate it a few years back when we were never on tv and always on last on motd. most pubs aren't full anyway other then in the clubs city or town when they are playing.

i dont agree with that. sky should be showing a variety of games, not just the top clubs or perceived top games. i used to hate it a few years back when we were never on tv and always on last on motd. most pubs aren't full anyway other then in the clubs city or town when they are playing.

Yeah getting a shitty little column in the pink did my head in, i used to have to turn at least 4 pages of utd before i would get a sniff of City news.

But with all due respect mate, are you being charged 1K+ for those games? Because bars are. Small ones. That in no way shape or form are covering the costs and are barely doing it when big clubs play each other, let alone big clubs play a small club or 2 small clubs play. And sky know this and are more than happy to churn out Hull vs Bournemouth or Sunderland vs Everton far too often, then show 2 big clubs play on a Sat morning or 5pm, knowing pubs get less folk in during those time slots, but can get punters to stay at home and subscribe for those games.

It's easy to go "show the small clubs" when your livelihood isn't depending on it like people who are working in pubs and hotels etc.

But with all due respect mate, are you being charged 1K+ for those games? Because bars are. Small ones. That in no way shape or form are covering the costs and are barely doing it when big clubs play each other, let alone big clubs play a small club or 2 small clubs play. And sky know this and are more than happy to churn out Hull vs Bournemouth or Sunderland vs Everton far too often, then show 2 big clubs play on a Sat morning or 5pm, knowing pubs get less folk in during those time slots, but can get punters to stay at home and subscribe for those games.

It's easy to go "show the small clubs" when your livelihood isn't depending on it like people who are working in pubs and hotels etc.

pubs in those places though like sunderland do benefit when they play. id say in the main the only pubs that benefit from the big games are pubs in that clubs city. for example when its city playing its mostly pubs in manchester or some surrounding towns that benefit. the vast majority of pubs see no benefit at all. most rely on food, not football anyway to make money.

if sky only showed the top teams, it would just confirm there bias and there would be no incentive at all for fans outside say the top 6 to buy sky. pubs in places like sunderland and other areas would suffer. if there was some kind of pick your game option maybe ? you make some good points tbf mate

Last edited:
Yeah getting a shitty little column in the pink did my head in, i used to have to turn at least 4 pages of utd before i would get a sniff of City news.

yep aha. it might have been when we were a division lower, but i used to wait up and then we'd only be on for 2 minutes on the itv highlights. hated it.

All Premier league games are filmed for full game coverage or highlights so why can't Sky offer pubs a multi screen offer so they could choose what game to show, Iam sure pubs in the areas of local teams i.e. Swansea, West Brom, Bournemouth would show those games, or have I not thought this out properly.

All Premier league games are filmed for full game coverage or highlights so why can't Sky offer pubs a multi screen offer so they could choose what game to show, Iam sure pubs in the areas of local teams i.e. Swansea, West Brom, Bournemouth would show those games, or have I not thought this out properly.
Exactly, pisses me off! It's pretty simple for them to do and it'd go some way to justify the ludicrous price they charge their customers!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.