Angus Gunn

Do people think he's actually good enough to be starting for us in cups and the like?

I'm just really intrigued that we didn't send him out on loan anywhere, and have seemingly decided we want this entire year for him to be right with Pep, yet not actually playing. I'm not dismissing that, he might be learning loads, but it's certainly interesting and not what I expected us to do.

Yeah, I do, he's better than Pickford when I've seen them play for the England u21's.

Outside of City fans, I believe he's known as being a serious prospect around the country, Henry Winter has mentioned him a few times and so has Mark Lawrenson so for them to know about him I assume he's got a pretty high profile somewhere.

I agree with the thinking but if we did bring in a younger keeper to replace Willy and challenge Bravo then his chances would be severely limited, and probably Guardiola would either favour the new signing or Bravo (if he doesn't improve his form next season) for the cup games rather than Gunn.

He's not ready to be #1, and unfortunately Bravo isn't good enough right now and Pep won't sell Bravo after one season.

If Gunn was third choice behind a new keeper like Ederson and Bravo, I'd expect him to become our #2. From there, he's in the spot all #2's are and would have to wait for his chance or leave after a few seasons to be a #1.

I'd be surprised if Pep kept the 3 we have now, but if he did that would be massive for Gunn.

Who knows, maybe he'll start vs. Huddersfield? (I know that's not going to happen)

He's not ready to be #1, and unfortunately Bravo isn't good enough right now and Pep won't sell Bravo after one season.

If Gunn was third choice behind a new keeper like Ederson and Bravo, I'd expect him to become our #2. From there, he's in the spot all #2's are and would have to wait for his chance or leave after a few seasons to be a #1.

I'd be surprised if Pep kept the 3 we have now, but if he did that would be massive for Gunn.

Who knows, maybe he'll start vs. Huddersfield? (I know that's not going to happen)

Is he ready?? He might not be but there comes a time when there is only one way to find out. This Ederson fella is only just older isn't he. How do we know that he is actually better than Angus? Watching him the other night he made some great saves.... so what I have seen Angus make great saves and have great games. Bottom line is Ederson must have been given an early chance and it paid off.

Would Gunn have done better than Bravo this season. 100% I would say yes of course he would. The mystery to me is why he hasn't gone on loan and whilst I accept the benefits of working under Pep I just cannot see how that really furthers his career and especially so if Pep then goes out and buys another keeper for next season. If that does happen I expect Gunn to go as I think he would have no choice. I don't even see Gunn as our number 2 as enough to keep him at City

Is he ready?? He might not be but there comes a time when there is only one way to find out. This Ederson fella is only just older isn't he. How do we know that he is actually better than Angus? Watching him the other night he made some great saves.... so what I have seen Angus make great saves and have great games. Bottom line is Ederson must have been given an early chance and it paid off.

Would Gunn have done better than Bravo this season. 100% I would say yes of course he would. The mystery to me is why he hasn't gone on loan and whilst I accept the benefits of working under Pep I just cannot see how that really furthers his career and especially so if Pep then goes out and buys another keeper for next season. If that does happen I expect Gunn to go as I think he would have no choice. I don't even see Gunn as our number 2 as enough to keep him at City

He has so many years ahead of him as a goalkeeper, Pep probably felt it would be worthwhile to assess him at the club. It's one of his key positions so having him around and really testing him and watching him allows him to make the right call. He's young enough to go on loan like Courtois and then come back in the future. I think he's an excellent prospect and would be happy to see him start any game. He's a great shot stopper, he's excellent on the ball and can pick a pass brilliantly. We shall see, it's a position we really need to address because Bravo just isn't performing.

Playing Bravo tomorrow will be a huge test, he'll be jeered with every ball that comes near him and it will be a feisty crowd.

There's about 3 years between them.

I would be willing to bet that if Gunn was our number 2 he'd stay for several years. Our number 2 keepers play 10-15 games a season, that's more than enough to keep a 21 year old at the club and making progress.

Ideally Gunn should stick around for one more season but if he is to be loaned out or moved on we still need to bring in an extra one whether it is from the Academy or signing an extra one as well as WIlly's replacement(if he isn't offered an new deal).

he should be made second choice keeper next year. he needs game time. if hes not getting the cups games or a few games next year i think he should probably leave.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.