Predicting excellence

Watched a cracking documentary about youth basketball in the US. My life, they heap a shit load of pressure on youngster over there, even ranking them from a very young age. They work ridiculously hard just to get a college place - even then, the best of the best don't even get a start when they get to college. I'd like to think our youngsters aren't under the same pressures.

Why not incorporate the EDS into a local lower league club, e.g Hyde, Altrincham and see if they can play their way up the ladder under that name? They'd be in league 3 in two seasons?

Why not incorporate the EDS into a local lower league club, e.g Hyde, Altrincham and see if they can play their way up the ladder under that name? They'd be in league 3 in two seasons?

Surely multiple ownership would come into play (or maximum loan player limits)? Believe that's an FA rule rather than a Football League one.

When you say 'we do not need that here', are you basing that on our unmitigated success in international football?

No I say that because the elite clubs in Spain yield too much power.
The lack of of success at international level is because we constantly employ inept coaches . The FA is not fit for purpose.

I'm just not sure that elite level clubs are best placed to bring talent through anymore. They can hoover up the best talent in each age group and they can provide great facilities but on the whole but they just don't seem to be able to manage the last step of introducing them into the first team (which i'm starting to think is probably the most important).

The loan system doesn't seem to work all that well as clubs in the lower leagues have their own short term goals. You could loan a great youth player to a championship club and then it becomes apparent it's going to take the best part of a season for them to come to terms with the physicality of senior football. What incentive do they have to persevere with/develop that player if they stand to gain no long term benefit? If these players actually belonged to the lower league clubs and they stood to gain from either selling them or having them in their team long term, then I expect we'd see them getting more game time and developing to their full potential more quickly.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, if the national team stands to benefit maybe the FA could offer incentives. If we said to a club if a player makes x number of appearances for your first team before the age of 23 and goes on to win 20+ England caps, you'll get a £5m development fee, maybe we'd see lower league sides really giving these kids a go. If I had a kid who had the prospect of going places, as much as it pains me to say it, im not sure a club like City is the best place for them in the long term.

I think incentives would be , not necessarily 'the answer' , but a huge improvement. But imo the incentives would have to be on the playing side.

Typically of this country, all they can think of is squad cutting & sanctions, to force teams to use more homegrown players.

What about an actual football advantage by using them ? You can have more subs for example, if the extra ones are academy players, below a certain age, but they have to be used before, say, 70mins or they can't come on as extras. So if you have all 3 subs on, you can still use two homegrown kids as well, but you have to give them at least 20 mins, not just use them for the last 5

And if you don't use them in a certain number of games in the first half of the season,, you lose the extra sub places for the 2nd half of the season.

I think that would guarantee more kids got on the pitch. The clubs who took best advantage, would be very strong late in games. Those who didn't care, would soon reaslise they needed to.

Interesting thread. The evidence is still not convincing for even having an academy then at a club like ours. There is zero connection with our first team and for all the hype there's no chance for even the most talented youngsters to break in.

Interesting thread. The evidence is still not convincing for even having an academy then at a club like ours. There is zero connection with our first team and for all the hype there's no chance for even the most talented youngsters to break in.
I can only presume from that post that you have not a clue about City's academy.

Watched a cracking documentary about youth basketball in the US. My life, they heap a shit load of pressure on youngster over there, even ranking them from a very young age. They work ridiculously hard just to get a college place - even then, the best of the best don't even get a start when they get to college. I'd like to think our youngsters aren't under the same pressures.

Missed that doc. Would have liked to have seen it.
Presumably the best of them eventually make it though. It is not as though they are buying in foreign players.
Perhaps we need to find a way of putting more psychological pressure on our academy players.
We seem to treat our young players like stars before they achieve anything.

I can only presume from that post that you have not a clue about City's academy.

Enlighten me and it's advantages to our first team. Given in the last decade I can't think of a single player proving a real asset perhaps I'm missing the point of it?

Guess CFA looks impressive but like the poster above states there is a potential that our young players are spoiled. Do the best players train on fancy pitches and go to private schools?

Enlighten me and it's advantages to our first team. Given in the last decade I can't think of a single player proving a real asset perhaps I'm missing the point of it?

Guess CFA looks impressive but like the poster above states there is a potential that our young players are spoiled. Do the best players train on fancy pitches and go to private schools?

I didn't mention the last decade let alone education (you think that's a bad thing?) Your statement was:

Why don't you enlighten me on that? BTW do you think Messi, Xavi or Iniesta had a hard life at Barca's academy or do you think they should get rid too?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.