Bert

old blue

The Grauniad have a story this morning about a film in production about Bert. Not just about his prowess but how he overcame the antipathy towards himself.

8c7189fd8faea4d88a7ff12815b59e7d.jpg

article-2370217-1AE410B7000005DC-399_634x514.jpg

revie56cupwin_original_crop_north.jpg

Bert was my first great City hero. He lived in Bramhall and I saw him a few times calling into the garage on Palatine road in Northenden. He had a sponsored VW which was a rare event in those days. Of course, I was at his great testimonial game. Maurice Setters scored an own goal against him, typical red !

PS A Comment on wages then: to make ends meet, Bert used to wash cars around Sale.

Last edited:
Bert was my first great City hero. He lived in Bramhall and I saw him a few times calling into the garage on Palatine road in Northenden. He had a sponsored VW which was a rare event in those days. Of course, I was at his great testimonial game. Maurice Setters scored an own goal against him, typical red !

PS A Comment on wages then: to make ends meet, Bert used to wash cars around Sale.

Yes, I was at his testimonial game too, a magical night at Maine Road....after the game he came over the tannoy and thanked everyone for the kindness they had shown towards him.

He signed his book for me at The Etihad a few years back.

Can you imagine Sergio or Yaya washing cars for a bit of pin money?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.