Phil Foden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I watch Foden play I am amazed how good he is. I know Diaz is considered by many to be the best academy talent, but I think Foden edges it for me. Diaz didn't look too impressive in the Youth Cup game (which I know was nearly inconsequential) but Foden showed maturity beyond his years with his agility and vision, while Diaz was just okay.

Very much like Jack Wilshire. Don't mock, as I think with the right coach Wilshere could be a great player as can Foden.

There was 1 part in the game he got clattered in a fair challenge but immediately got up, received a pass and split the Stoke defence. Brilliant play.

On the plus side, he's always looking for the killer ball and the assist for the 2nd was great.

On the bad, he can be quite wasteful and I felt like he was trying to force too many balls last night - when at times there was probably an easier option.

There's always room for improvement in everyone and he's clearly got what it takes to make it to the top.

Everytime I watch Foden play I am amazed how good he is. I know Diaz is considered by many to be the best academy talent, but I think Foden edges it for me. Diaz didn't look too impressive in the Youth Cup game (which I know was nearly inconsequential) but Foden showed maturity beyond his years with his agility and vision, while Diaz was just okay.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with that.
They are all skillful players with good ball control and first touches. Some of them like Sancho and Diaz have a trick or two which catches the eye.
I'm not belittling their skill when I say this though. Foden plays like a seasoned pro. His timing of pass. Knowing when to hold it and when to release it is second to none in that team.

The others including Diallo and Dele Bashiru tended to over do it at times, as young lads invariably do. I absolutely love watching Sancho in particular. But himself and Diaz can at times run down blind alleys by over estimating their ability or just trying it on, which I'm sure they are encouraged to do.

Foden, who I've only really seen much of this season, always impresses me. he usually chooses the right option. His decision making and vision and maturity is beyond his years.
I really hope he proves to be tough enough to withstand the physicality of the Premiership, because I think we have a helluva player on our hands if he is.

Imagine basing a kids talent on one game. Brahim gets shifted around a lot whether it is False 9, right wing, left wing when in reality his best position is in midfield, it is rare that you see Foden & Brahim work together, Brahim is always effective when he plays in the middle but it doesn't happen very often when he drops down a level. Been a couple of times now when Foden has gone off and Brahim has taken over the game completely.

I don't think there is anyone saying that "THIS is the best player in the academy", it more like a group of talents which are considered the best.

I think it is unfair to judge players off one game. Previous posters comparing Diaz to Foden, these are 2 completely different players. Diaz loses the ball more than Foden because he plays a more risky game. He runs at players and runs with the ball more, Foden's game is focused on ball retention and waiting for an opening. Same with people comparing Sancho with Foden, Sancho is obviously going to lose the ball more because he likes to beat players continuously. Its like comparing Silva to Hazard. One players game is to control the tempo of the game showing good ball retention, the other is to take chances and beat a defender numerously when getting them in 1 v 1 situations. I think all 3 players have fantastic qualities and it is pretty silly to start making comparisons and competing them against each other.

We should just appreciate the talent we have instead of picking holes out of them. These lads aren't even 18 yet, they are developing all the time.

I think it is unfair to judge players off one game. Previous posters comparing Diaz to Foden, these are 2 completely different players. Diaz loses the ball more than Foden because he plays a more risky game. He runs at players and runs with the ball more, Foden's game is focused on ball retention and waiting for an opening. Same with people comparing Sancho with Foden, Sancho is obviously going to lose the ball more because he likes to beat players continuously. Its like comparing Silva to Hazard. One players game is to control the tempo of the game showing good ball retention, the other is to take chances and beat a defender numerously when getting them in 1 v 1 situations. I think all 3 players have fantastic qualities and it is pretty silly to start making comparisons and competing them against each other.

We should just appreciate the talent we have instead of picking holes out of them. These lads aren't even 18 yet, they are developing all the time.
Unfair to judge off one game? I saw the game and noted he wasn't impressive, I'm comparing his consistency to Foden which I can definitely do. Also they are NOT completely different players, sure they aren't the exact same, but they are 10s who drop deep who can occasionally play on the wing (Foden has for England).

I get that Diaz isn't a left winger (which is where he played and imo the manager's fault for fitting square pegs in round holes, he rectified this with ICP), but I can notice if he isn't playing great. I'm usually more critical of the top players because I expect more, maybe unrealistically.

I actually think Diaz and Foden are quite similar from what I've seen, similar in stature, similar in their moment and control of the ball... there's no need to get defensive of one or the other as they are both supremely talented and they are both on our books.

Foden looks like he could have come from Spain when he's out on the pitch, which is maybe why some place him above Diaz because you don't expect an English lad to be anywhere near as technical as someone like Diaz in his age group, it very much looks as though he is though. This is a good thing IMO, there doesn't seem to be anything one can do that the other couldn't if they put the work in. If they are the same age and kept together they could hopefully push each other into becoming two very special players indeed who are more than capable of challenging for a first team place.

Their goals against Stoke were so similar, Diaz showed an intelligent knack of placing his body between defender and ball at all times along with good strength to outfox several defenders(a rare knack to have, he must be watching David Silva), Foden beat the same number of people with cleaver movement and changes of pace with a nice feint to finish the run in a perfect position to shoot from(arguably the cleaner setup for the cleaner finish). I don't think there's much point in arguing over who's better they are both bloody good and there doesn't seem to be much in it either way.

I actually think Diaz and Foden are quite similar from what I've seen, similar in stature, similar in their moment and control of the ball... there's no need to get defensive of one or the other as they are both supremely talented and they are both on our books.

Foden looks like he could have come from Spain when he's out on the pitch, which is maybe why some place him above Diaz because you don't expect an English lad to be anywhere near as technical as someone like Diaz in his age group, it very much looks as though he is though. This is a good thing IMO, there doesn't seem to be anything one can do that the other couldn't if they put the work in. If they are the same age and kept together they could hopefully push each other into becoming two very special players indeed who are more than capable of challenging for a first team place.

Their goals against Stoke were so similar, Diaz showed an intelligent knack of placing his body between defender and ball at all times along with good strength to outfox several defenders(a rare knack to have, he must be watching David Silva), Foden beat the same number of people with cleaver movement and changes of pace with a nice feint to finish the run in a perfect position to shoot from(arguably the cleaner setup for the cleaner finish). I don't think there's much point in arguing over who's better they are both bloody good and there doesn't seem to be much in it either way.

Its swings and roundabouts with these lads, I think with every passing game you watch them its very difficult to say who is the best of the 3.

I would personally say Sancho has been the standout performer in the youth cup games this season. Foden best player v Reading in the earlier rounds and Stoke the other night, but Sancho was mesmerising against Southampton, Liverpool and Aston Villa in the previous rounds before the semis. Diaz has generally looked dangerous also in most of the rounds even when played up top as a false number 9.

I can agree that Foden and Brahim have similar qualities, but I would say one likes to be more similar to messi, the other more similar to Silva. I do think that Diaz tries to take more chances on the ball which is why he loses it more but at that age, players should not be discouraged from playing with freedom and expressing themselves.

They all need a chance at some point in the future though, top talent like this can not go to waste. I would also slot Matt Smith into this bracket who has been superb for under 18s this season and for the under 23s when called upon. Unlike Sancho and Diaz, Foden hasn't played a game for the under 23s so it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.