Brahim Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
His vision is a natural gift,he can thread a pass through the eye of a needle and create opportunity from nothing.All that's missing from his game,and role as a number 10,is a tad more physical strength coupled with game time experience.

My only gripe is that both him and Foden are competing for a similar role and that may not be the best situation for either.

Thought he was our best player last night. Still obvious issues with physicality and also judgment (ie. the tendency to hang on to the ball in impossibly tight areas and ending up getting caught in possession), but in terms of a direct threat, either by going solo or playing others into the game, he was far more dangerous than either Foden, who drifted out of it for long periods, or Sancho, who's had a faint whiff of flat track bully whenever I've seen him up against the better opposition teams.
I don't think Diaz is ready to mix it with 'adults' yet on a regular basis, but I'd like to see him in the match day squad for all cup ties next season. The boy's a serious talent

Last edited:
Thought he was our best player last night. Still obvious issues with physicality and also judgment (ie. the tendency to hang on to the ball in impossibly tight areas and ending up getting caught in possession), but in terms of a direct threat, either by going solo or playing others into the game, he was far more dangerous than either Foden, who drifted out of it for long periods, or Sancho, who's had a faint whiff of flat track bully whenever I've seen him up against the better opposition teams.
I don't think Diaz is ready to mix it with 'adults' yet on a regular basis, but I'd like to see him in the match day squad for all cup ties next season. The boy's a serious talent

Yes. It seems to me that players who come through at a very young age (under 18) are usually either extremely quick or very strong for their age. They need those characteristics to escape the attentions of hairy arsed defenders and midfield players. Diaz (and Foden) seem to me to be more in need of physical development, I cant see them being first team regulars before the age of 19 but hope they play in the cups.

Yes. It seems to me that players who come through at a very young age (under 18) are usually either extremely quick or very strong for their age. They need those characteristics to escape the attentions of hairy arsed defenders and midfield players. Diaz (and Foden) seem to me to be more in need of physical development, I cant see them being first team regulars before the age of 19 but hope they play in the cups.
Agree, that's how it works in Spain with their emphasis on technique rather than strength. For example Thiago made his senior debut under Pep at the age of 18 but started to feature regularly only after turning 20. Physical freaks like Messi are surely not a good reference point.

Thought he was the stand out player from both teams last night in terms of technical ability. I agree he does lack a bit of physical strength but, to his credit, I didn't think he went missing at any time or shirk any challenges. Not seen much of our kids but I thought Sancho was maybe trying a bit too hard to impress and made some poor decisions. Foden took his goal well and I thought the No 8 (think it was Smith) did well and looked busy all match.

His vision is a natural gift,he can thread a pass through the eye of a needle and create opportunity from nothing.All that's missing from his game,and role as a number 10,is a tad more physical strength coupled with game time experience.

My only gripe is that both him and Foden are competing for a similar role and that may not be the best situation for either.

I think they're different players but Brahim's best position isn't currently used in the the first team - a false 9. It'd certainly be possible for us to play (as an example) our usual midfield with a pivot and two false 8s (which I see as Foden's best role) and Diaz as our highest central player but with goalscoring wingers ahead of him (Jesus and Sane). Diaz would then have the opportunity to receive the ball, wait for runs from the wingers and 8s to go beyond him before playing a pass.

I thought he showed some flashes of his brilliance (two through balls that should've been goals), but also struggled with Chelsea's power and pace.

He's clearly a diamond and might just need patience before he becomes a first team regular. I've got no doubt that he'll reach a very high level in professional football though, and just hope that it's with us and he doesn't get impatient while waiting for his chance.

He's going to be like a silky version of Tevez for me. A real stocky battler who doesn't let his opponents rest.

Thought he was probably our best last night, although he is capable of much better. Thought a lot of our players were below par on the night. Will be tough at Chelsea.

The Championship would absolutely ruin him and his confidence would get shot to bits.
Totally agree, the championship is not where any of these players should be learning, in fact I'd go further, there isn't an English team I'd send them too, outside of a couple up the top end of the PL, who certainly wouldn't be interested in helping develop our players for us.

I thought he showed some flashes of his brilliance (two through balls that should've been goals), but also struggled with Chelsea's power and pace.

He's clearly a diamond and might just need patience before he becomes a first team regular. I've got no doubt that he'll reach a very high level in professional football though, and just hope that it's with us and he doesn't get impatient while waiting for his chance.

He's going to be like a silky version of Tevez for me. A real stocky battler who doesn't let his opponents rest.

As he gets older he reminds me a lot of teenage Isco.

I reckon if you had two identical kids, and one grew up idolising Zidane and one Idolised Iniesta, you'd get Isco and Brahim respectively.

Isco more neat flicks and powerful shots and aerial passes, Brahim more feints, dribbling and those perfectly weighted through balls.

Both spiky personalities if they get ruffled, both terrier like in their chasing down and harrassing other players, both have that short stocky build, both capable of being used wide but better in the middle, both love the ball into feet that lets them turn their man immediately..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.