So Pep failed at Bayern?

I made that comment and i stand by it that no one side will dominate English football like Liverpool in the 70's & 80's and rags in the 90's & 00's. There's too much competition for players to start with, Liverpool and the rags would be able to just hoover up everyone else's better players, no one can do that now as everyone can pay comparable wages.
As for not moving forwards, i don't know what that means, we won the title under Pelligrini then stagnated due to the squad ageing, then we have had Pep come on and try to change the playing style and incorporate new players. We've gone 'backwards' in a trophies comparison to Pellers first season, yet forward in a playing style since last year.
Our 'trajectory', for want of of a better word is, is on the up compared to last season in my view.

You might be right and as it stands you are as we are having a new winner each season, my point is though each time a team walks it as they are at the minute they aren't light-years ahead of everyone else, Leicester absolutely breezed it last year with no challenge at all. Is it a coincidence that the domination will stop now Fergie has gone? He was the one who said you can' stand still as champions but each team that's won it has. When a team has won it they have bought poorly and maybe become complacent. Either way I don't expect us to win it year in year out just challenge for it at least.

Sorry, this has derailed slightly. I am not questioning Pep, I popped up when someone said no team will dominate again, I said we had the chance to as everyone keeps winning titles without a challenge and due to our own fault we haven't. It then went further off track when it was claimed we haven't been successful due to referees. All off track from the actual questioning of Pep.

In terms of Pep I think we have under performed this season whilst being on the wrong side of a lot of bad decisions which might of worked out differently. That would fall in with your if I was taller comment though so lets look at it face value that once again, after more investment and an upgrade on manager we are in a top 4 fight.

Pep is far from a failure and I think next year hopefully is the start of something special, him being branded a failure for not winning the CL at Bayern is moronic.

you seem to have little or no consideration for the fact that he's a new manager in the league and is dealing with a transitioning squad. You have previously criticised our spending quite heavily and said that Begiristain has done a terrible job. If that's the case then why were your expectations of what Pep would achieve this season so high that you're seemingly bitterly disappointed with being in a "top 4 fight". If we've bought badly for years, then it stands to reason that Pep's not going to rock up and sweep all before him in his first season.

TBH, any type of 'analysis' of a manager's first season needs to come with heavy caveats no matter who the manager. I said in a previous post and I totally stand by this - this season has given oxygen to those types who think Pep's a bit of a fraud. Come this time next season I'm willing to bet those people will be unavailable for comment due to our success on the pitch.

It's up to the Bayern board to assess whether he was a failure for not winning the Champions League. What we have to say bears little meaning into his tenure there, I'm sure his objectives were clear before he started the task in hand.

you seem to have little or no consideration for the fact that he's a new manager in the league and is dealing with a transitioning squad. You have previously criticised our spending quite heavily and said that Begiristain has done a terrible job. If that's the case then why were your expectations of what Pep would achieve this season so high that you're seemingly bitterly disappointed with being in a "top 4 fight". If we've bought badly for years, then it stands to reason that Pep's not going to rock up and sweep all before him in his first season.

TBH, any type of 'analysis' of a manager's first season needs to come with heavy caveats no matter who the manager. I said in a previous post and I totally stand by this - this season has given oxygen to those types who think Pep's a bit of a fraud. Come this time next season I'm willing to bet those people will be unavailable for comment due to our success on the pitch.

I have never said he should of swept all before him and is where things get silly with comments like that thrown about. He is a world class manager with a better squad than what Pellegrini had last year so my hope was we wouldn't be going down to the wire to see if we finish in the top 4 again like last season. Not saying we should win the league but not be sat in 4th with question marks over CL looming over us. I agree with your comments about first seasons at a club though yet on the other hand we are quick to laugh at Utd and Jose if it's going tits up.

I also agree next year can only improve, better players with better understandings of what Pep wants. We also cant be on the receiving end of so many match changing decisions. I am excited for next season.

I genuinely feel sorry for a small section of our support that is seemingly unable to enjoy watching us right now.

Don't, I've seen more exciting football than this, and unless we get it right like everyone harps on about, I'll see more exciting football in the future. It's subjective and everyone has a slightly different idea of exciting football.

I have never said he should of swept all before him and is where things get silly with comments like that thrown about. He is a world class manager with a better squad than what Pellegrini had last year so my hope was we wouldn't be going down to the wire to see if we finish in the top 4 again like last season. Not saying we should win the league but not be sat in 4th with question marks over CL looming over us. I agree with your comments about first seasons at a club though yet on the other hand we are quick to laugh at Utd and Jose if it's going tits up.

I also agree next year can only improve, better players with better understandings of what Pep wants. We also cant be on the receiving end of so many match changing decisions. I am excited for next season.

Easier to finish top 4 last season...66 points was enough

Easier to finish top 4 last season...66 points was enough

Points comparisons are irrelevant, league positions are the only thing that matters. We could get more points this season and finish 5th, means nothing.

That's not how Sheikh Mansour sees it. He's waited years for Pep and invested hundreds of millions in the belief he can transform us into a club that will continually challenge for the CL. We have to view this through SM's eyes. He is like no other club owner.
That's my point exactly. You can build a team that will challenge for the CL. There will in my humble opinion not be any guarantees that such a team will actually win it. The margins at that level are extremely small. So calling Pep a failure because he did not win the CL with Bayern is unfair. Again in my humble opinion.
I think we will become a challenging team under Pep. This season we have already seen glimpses of the fantastic football Pep is aiming to make us play. Next season we will be closer I am sure. But I also think that it is possible that we will not win the CL at all. It is interesting that the CL dominating teams in the last years have been the 2 teams with the exceptionally best individual footballers of the planet (I am talking about Messi and Ronaldo). The time of these 2 guys are coming to an end, so perhaps that will also make Barca and Real more normal teams, thus opening up a possibility for other teams to get to the top.

Points comparisons are irrelevant, league positions are the only thing that matters. We could get more points this season and finish 5th, means nothing.

Yes we could get more points this season and finish 5th...Doesn't that prove a top 4 finish is more difficult this season

Judging by the decisions which RM got last night, it is completely transparent that the officials employed by UEFA are just as corrupt as those employed by the FA.

It is hardly surprising that so many people are getting fed up with these influences.

Exactly and why we will see the ultimate decision moving upstairs in a few years. Then we enter the era of the bent Video Ref!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.