BBC R5L tonight-chants prog Mark Radcliffe

I don't know exactly when/where it started but I can remember us belting it out at Carrow Road around 77 but as you say there were no words to it. No idea when 'best team' was added to it.
Ah yes,Carrow Road,football special from Piccadilly that must have had a top speed of 40mph! Singing "Fertilizer" coming out of the station. The local plod laughing in the ground when a bunch of lads near me started singing "New Moston Blues we are here". The dibble asking each other what happened to Old Moston!? Sorry,with all this nostalgia and being an old cnut,seem to have a bit of grit in my eye.

I listened to the programme. Great contribution Gary. Excellent. As for that knob Boyle and his self proclaimed poet of the rags. There's only one king and that's Colin. Plagiaristic muppet. Personally I do like "The Vikings" song. Started late '70's without any words. Where did that start? Was someone bored one Sunday afternoon watching the film on tv and decided to start if of at the next match? If so,well done young man.
I remember hearing it for the first time possibly around about 1976. It was at a pretty crap midweek home game and the film had been on telly the night before. Started off as a bit of a hum from the top of the Kippax and then everyone seemed to join in. Certainly livened up a dull night!

I remember hearing it for the first time possibly around about 1976. It was at a pretty crap midweek home game and the film had been on telly the night before. Started off as a bit of a hum from the top of the Kippax and then everyone seemed to join in. Certainly livened up a dull night!
Rember the Vikings at Ipswich and Norwich away .it had just been on telly

I enjoyed the show and Gary's input was, as always, insightful and interesting. I thought they missed a trick about how the Yaya/Kolo chant crossed over from football to popular mainstream culture for about 6 months, not too many football chants have done that.

Just listened to the show... fuck me, heard Boyle... talk about "if you tell a lie often enough it'll be believed"! Claiming that changing a name on the Colin the King song is an original, and that four sides of the Swamp sang a John O'Shea song? Be lucky if you get one whole side of that lifeless shithole to sing along, let alone all four!

Rember the Vikings at Ipswich and Norwich away .it had just been on telly
Cyberblue and all others who remember The Vikings on TV in 1976.... You've really helped my research (the power of Bluemoon!) as I'm doing a two part piece on chants for the last 2 City programmes. Quick question (may seem daft - I know it's very daft!) were you living in Granadaland then? I've searched various archives (newspapers and Radio Times) and managed to find lots of dates when the film was shown and your memory of 1976 ties up perfectly with a showing of the film on the Thursday night prior to Ipswich away (23/10/76) and Norwich (30/10/76).... the only problem being that it wasn't shown in Granadaland that night. It was on ITV in other regions, but Granada had a John Wayne film on instead.

There could have been a late film change and, as a few said that it had been shown prior to Ipswich/Norwich around 1976, I'm convinced this is what inspired it and will include that in the piece (though I'm still searching). Anyway, excellent memories and the evidence overall backs up this. I love it when we can find an actual date for something. I have also noticed that, in my own away trip memory bank, it was popular during 1983-84 (I remember someone bringing a Viking horn to the Oldham game and the Viking call going on for ages) which, again, coincides with a TV showing. Maybe each time it was on TV it reminded us and the first part (the Viking call itself) has been watered down in recent years because the film just hasn't been on TV.

For those who have no idea what the Viking call is/was or are too young to remember the film or not around when the chant/call was in its pomp during the 80s here's a few clips. This is part of the original trailer: This is a melancholic version of the call: and this is the type of horn (though much smaller) that often appeared at away games (about 19 seconds in):

***EDIT: Latest: I've now discovered it was also shown on Granada on the Wednesday night in between the Ipswich and Norwich games. All sorted and now dated. Great stuff!*********

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.