Budget PAYG Phone Dilemma.

Two Gun Bob

The economics simply do not stack up and there is no such thing as a free lunch. Brand loyalty for brand loyalties sake. Therefore quality and consistency of product must always be evaluated.

I shall not stir from 3 as their consistency's been fluid throughout my ten-year tenure.
I am not here to chat mobile phone companies but more the apparatus an end user feeds off.

The Mobile or Cell itself that influences everything we do in our daily lives.
From maintaining social media status and basic messaging to surfing the silver highway at full throttle. It's also a television satellite navigation system and camera and camcorder. The list remains endless and is only restricted by an over active imagination and a few Play Store apps.

I am in the market for a new device Right Now ! but in the budget sector up to £175. I have no penchant for a nice new mobile contract tying me in for 2 years for a free phone that is not really free.

I have just aquired a new sim only deal for £9 a month for all you can eat calls and all you can eat texts and four meg of data. I have for the time being narrowed the selection down to a Moto 4G or a Moto 4G plus.

Not the smaller 5 inch 4G play version that does not sport gorilla glass or the improved octa-core processer.
It looks to be a lot of wonga for the money the 4G and the cheapest supplier I can find has it on offer for and incredible £129.00.The plus is another £50 but has a better camera.Horses for courses I guess.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/moto...ce=Ldadwords&gclid=CNycy_C6s9MCFQ0R0wodVwwI8w

What other phones in the budget bracket can experianced Moon people recomend.
It has to have a reasonable processer and be in excess of 5 inch and android is a bonus for ease of use.
Eyes are failing so the bigger the screen the better.
A friend of a friend said the honour 6X is ok.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_6x-pictures-8388.php

The budget lineup is difficult to evaluate with so many players but the technologies available in 2017 certainly offers the end user bangs for bucks.

The Moto 5 lineup does not seem to add much to the 4G lineup except for slightly better camera and a fingerprint security feature. The 5 does not fit the bill as it came in at only 5 inch and 5.2 respectively.

I need to feel a Moto in the palm of my hand in real life so may have to visit a retailer.
The Lenovas look particlarly good too and appear serious value.

I have heard of a slight bug in the ointment with the 4G in relation to volume with message alerts.
For some reason the volume is reduced for alerts only.Maybe isolated or maybe not.
Maybe fixed with firmware or an update.

It does look quite asethtically pleasing I have to say and for £129 does not break the bank.
Choices choices but as the saying goes purchase in haste repent at leisure ..

Last edited:
What happened to the mania??

Due to my attention to detail and posting prowess the moderation team set about creating a new persona that would carry me into the new millennia with panache and finesse.A recognition of seven years loyal service to both Moon and Country.

But that's not important Right Now !
Because I have to buy a new Budget phone.

Taxi. Your choice of a budget smartphone with the Moto-G plus is a good one. For the money it is probably the best phone out there right now.

I had a Samsung S7 on 2 year contract and broke it within a week. Wasn't insured either as my content s insurance had just expired. Ouch!

Bought an LG K10 that is pretty good and worth checking out.

3 network is pretty good nowadays as they are constantly upgrading cell sites, and part of EE.

Buying the phone and putting in a monthly PAYG SIM in is the smart option IMO.

Taxi. Your choice of a budget smartphone with the Moto-G plus is a good one. For the money it is probably the best phone out there right now.

I had a Samsung S7 on 2 year contract and broke it within a week. Wasn't insured either as my content s insurance had just expired. Ouch!

Bought an LG K10 that is pretty good and worth checking out.

3 network is pretty good nowadays as they are constantly upgrading cell sites, and part of EE.

Buying the phone and putting in a monthly PAYG SIM in is the smart option IMO.

It's all to easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment and before you know it get talked into a £60 monthly contract.
Will have a look at the LG K10 you mention as I eventually purchased an LG Telly and believe they have a good reputation.
You do seem to get a lot for your money with a Moto.
And also not too concerned about kudos or street cred.
Thanks again Mr Risin,very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all to easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment and before you know it get talked into a £60 monthly contract.
Will have a look at the LG K10 you mention as I have just purchased an LG Telly and believe them to have good reputation.
You do seem to get a lot for your money with a Moto.
And also not too concerned about kudos or street cred.
Thanks again Mr Risin,very much appreciated.
No probs Taxi. I had a Moto -G when it first came out. Good phone but limited 8GB without expandable memory restricted it. I think the new version has this feature. Had I not bought K10,(as i too have an LG TV) i would of plumped for the Moto-G plus.

I hate Apple. And as good as they and Samsung are, are vastly over hyped and over priced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.