EDS future opportunities and progression?

I Would like to see Mooy , Unal, Zinchenko, Moreno and Roberts brought to the club next season. With the exception of Roberts , who has had a short stay the club, the rest were more or less shipped out on loan immediately. It is difficult to know how good these players really are. Players such as Barker Celina Angelino etc. have played at youth levels at City and I assume the club has a good idea who will make it and a further year on loan may help them progress even further. By the end of next season we should also see the current crop of youth players emerging. It will be very interesting to see how the likes of Diaz Sancho Foden etc get on against Chelsea in final as some of Chelsea players are physical

to be honest i cant see that we will see many if any of our youth players coming into the team. I dont think our club can afford to give youngsters a chance which does make me sad, i go watching the academy every time they are playing at home or near by.

I sense an outrage that our host of 16 year old wonderkids aren’t maturing into Messi, Suarez, and Neymar, but in reality, our aggressive recruiting has funnelled the best young talent, and success or failure will be measured by progression to the First XI teamsheet.

I was disappointed last night, but the club would have faced the same issues, even if we’d won 5-1.

I remember feeling the same way in 2015, but Loftus Cheek is now 21 and has only made fleeting appearances, mostly as late substitute for Chelsea’s first team. It will be the same for their current crop, and no different for the likes of Foden and Diaz.

Alternatively, we’re looking at the payments received for Seko Fofana and Marco Lopes, as a sign of things to come. More a case of good business than strategic failure.

I sense an outrage that our host of 16 year old wonderkids aren’t maturing into Messi, Suarez, and Neymar, but in reality, our aggressive recruiting has funnelled the best young talent, and success or failure will be measured by progression to the First XI teamsheet.

I was disappointed last night, but the club would have faced the same issues, even if we’d won 5-1.

I remember feeling the same way in 2015, but Loftus Cheek is now 21 and has only made fleeting appearances, mostly as late substitute for Chelsea’s first team. It will be the same for their current crop, and no different for the likes of Foden and Diaz.

Alternatively, we’re looking at the payments received for Seko Fofana and Marco Lopes, as a sign of things to come. More a case of good business than strategic failure.

Exactly. I have maintained all along that the Academy is a sustainable business model in its own right. Despite all the talk the provision of talent good enough to win league titles and CL's is merely secondary.

That said last nights display was particularly poor. I have seen this side-most of them anyway- a couple of times this season and was very impressed. They do seem to have gone backwards in recent weeks. It was somewhat alarming that so called big hitters like Sancho and Diaz were virtual on-lookers in that match.

Also huge similarities with the first teams shortcomings were apparent last night.

David Silva started playing Spanish 2nd division football when he was 18, progressed to la liga with Celta Vigo at 19, became a regular at Valencia at 20. That seems to me to the sort of progression that we ought to be expecting from our better younger players. Faster progression might be expected for those with greater physical strength or blistering pace, which our lads dont seem to have.

Its unrealistic to expect the likes of Diaz and Foden to be mixing it in the PL on a regular basis before they're 19/20. Perhaps if the first team were filled with giants we might be able to accommodate a smaller youngster. But we're already a relatively small team which makes it difficult to look after a frail kid.

Exactly. I have maintained all along that the Academy is a sustainable business model in its own right. Despite all the talk the provision of talent good enough to win league titles and CL's is merely secondary.

That said last nights display was particularly poor. I have seen this side-most of them anyway- a couple of times this season and was very impressed. They do seem to have gone backwards in recent weeks. It was somewhat alarming that so called big hitters like Sancho and Diaz were virtual on-lookers in that match.

Also huge similarities with the first teams shortcomings were apparent last night.

Agree completely.
The only thing I would add is that United have produced plenty of First Team squad players (Fletcher, Richardson, etc), who weren't good enough to be regulars, but still did a job when required, and subsequently won Premier League medals.
This should be a minimum aim for City, but I sense from many regulars on this forum that if we don't produce our own Aguero then the Academy will be considered a failure.

Is it not a sign that actually in England strength and power out does small and nimble

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.