Holiday to Japan.

Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot

This will be the second time in the last 2 years I've visited the place.... Last year I was there for 7 days but now I'm going for 15 with a mate in June, as I hardly had time to figure out what the fuck I was doing as the place is just beyond massive!

Anyway the real reason I'm starting this thread is that I was wondering if anyone who's been before knows a convenient/cheap way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto as I'm looking at visiting the manga museum seeing as the Ghibli museum sold out in a day for the dates I'm over there.

Also has anyone got any recommendations on places to visit? I never got a chance to visit any temples last year as I really didn't know where I was going, this year I have a better indication of what is where, plus where I'm staying is so much more convenient than last year.....

I've already got Mt. Fuji w/bullet train tickets sorted, that was the first thing I opted for as I never got a chance to do it last year.

The easiest way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto is on the bullet train.
Temples in Kyoto are pretty good along with Arashiyama.
There's a place near Kyoto called Nara which is full of deer, pretty good for a day trip.
For Tokyo you could try Yoyogi park and Meiji Jingu on a Sunday.

I was there a couple of years ago, and there's a tourist-only bullet train ticket which isn't that expensive - not sure about the details, as the guide got them for us. It's probably about 2 1/2 hours on the bullet (Shinkansen), and really it's the best way to travel.

I second Nara - massive wooden temple, the biggest in Japan. Kyoto's worth at least 2 days - the golden temple, the Gion district, the castle, and if you're enthusiastic, the 10000 gates path are all worth seeing (I missed out on the last). It's pretty easy to get around Kyoto on the buses.

Tokyo - the metro is easy to use. There's a big temple to the west (Meiji, as Pie recommends) and Sensoji temple in the northeast in Asakusa district. For a day out, Kamakura on the train is near the south coast and has temples worth a look.

Having a look at the bullet trains and it says JR Pass holders are eligible for the Hikari Shinkansen.... does that mean JR Pass holders get on for free or is it like a discounted price? Because getting the bullet train for free just sounds too good to be true??

Second the Bullet train.
Only been on business but had to travel back and forth between Tokyo and Kyoto a few times.
As for the Tokyo metro being easy to use! If you have a fucking clue where you are and where you need to go then maybe.

Having a look at the bullet trains and it says JR Pass holders are eligible for the Hikari Shinkansen.... does that mean JR Pass holders get on for free or is it like a discounted price? Because getting the bullet train for free just sounds too good to be true??

I think it was about £200 for a week on (nearly) all trains including the Shin when I was there. JR Pass sounds familiar, and the website for it looks to agree as long as you fit the requirements.

Second the Bullet train.
Only been on business but had to travel back and forth between Tokyo and Kyoto a few times.
As for the Tokyo metro being easy to use! If you have a fucking clue where you are and where you need to go then maybe.

I live in London - it's second nature!

I think it was about £200 for a week on (nearly) all trains including the Shin when I was there. JR Pass sounds familiar, and the website for it looks to agree as long as you fit the requirements.

Nice one! Yeah JR Pass allows you on all JR lines and apparently the Hikari bullet train falls in that category... That's a massive bonus as I'll be able to travel all around Japan, as long as the places I visit fall under the Hikari destinations!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.