Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Bravo English because he's been slaughtered.
He's never really had a good spell though has he? I think you're missing the point completely by even bringing him into it(the point was they wont need to have disastrous performances consistently if they are English), I've seen it too many times now with English players sold for big fees. I've also seen City fans following it like sheep saying Sterling is shit for example and then being completely stumped when they see how his stats line up against the rest of the best. They will be on him from the first mistake(where as a de Gea will get criticism but they wont be making a tally of them for a highlight real months down the line), even the strongest willed players will let it get to them sooner or later and it can have a drastic effect for a goalkeeper, they can't really afford to have low confidence. He's not an experienced keeper so he will have his lows and have to overcome them, we don't know how he will react to it, especially with the added pressure of a bigger club.

Last edited:
He's never really had a good spell though has he? I think you're missing the point completely by even bringing him into it(the point was they wont need to have disastrous performances consistently if they are English), I've seen it too many times now with English players sold for big fees. I've also seen City fans following it like sheep saying Sterling is shit for example and then being completely stumped when they see how his stats line up against the rest of the best. They will be on him from the first mistake, even the strongest willed players will let it get to them sooner or later and it can have a drastic effect for a goalkeeper, they can't really afford to have low confidence.

We've had many foreign players slaughtered there's a couple of em out on loan now. By your reckoning we shouldn't buy English again. Who cares what some no mark pundit or journalist thinks, couldn't give a fuck personally.I don't know if we'll sign Pickford, but wherever he ends up it won't be for a big fee, by today's standards.

We've had many foreign players slaughtered there's a couple of em out on loan now. By your reckoning we shouldn't buy English again. Who cares what some no mark pundit or journalist thinks, couldn't give a fuck personally.I don't know if we'll sign Pickford, but wherever he ends up it won't be for a big fee, by today's standards.
Depends what you think is a big fee for an inexperienced keeper compared to what else is available for the same price, you can be sure they will do price comparison tables to remind us all of what is typically paid for a good keeper.

You're still ignoring the point, if a player is cocking up royally every week he deserves to be slaughtered, the players on loan you mention are big money signings that have fallen short(Mangala, Nasri, Bony) of what we paid for in terms of transfer fees or wages. Being an English player at City is an extra burden ontop of the fee, the less a player has going against him the more chance he has at becoming at a success for us. I just think with a keeper a bad start is harder to come back from than most other positions(de Gea is the exception to the rule and he joined the rags), add the fee, the fact that he's an English hope, the fact that he's moved to City and it starts mount up in terms of pressure. It seems Milner has enjoyed a lot more slack and lot more praise since joining Liverpool to me from the media, he joined on a free to the media darlings being the two key differences.

It's also not whether you or I care that matters it's if it ends up knocking a players confidence if it seems as though they can't do anything right by anyone over the slightest blip over the course of a season. English players(high profile, big fee English players) get that even when they barely make any mistakes(they are magnified more and take longer to be forgotten, they'll be on his back much sooner). Sterling and Stones will continue to get very little praise and over criticised but luckily they seem to have the right mindsets and will hopefully develop thicker skins, they're both looking like good signings for me that will continue to develop. Some players will fall victim to these pressures though and not get a chance find their feet until they move to Bayern Munich or Athletico Madrid for example and show their true quality when they're allowed to flourish.

Anyway it's all opinions isn't it mate, I will get behind him if we do sign him but for the same money I really think we could get better and more experienced(I think they still need to be young and up for a new challenge it doesn't look like Bravo had enough of either of those traits). Keepers are tricky to gauge early on in their careers take Jack Butland for example his hype has died down massively, I'm not saying he's not a good keeper but do you think he will reach the level of a de Gea or Courtois?

Last edited:
Depends what you think is a big fee for an inexperienced keeper compared to what else is available for the same price, you can be sure they will do price comparison tables to remind us all of what is typically paid for a good keeper.

You're still ignoring the point, if a player is cocking up royally every week he deserves to be slaughtered, the players on loan you mention are big money signings that have fallen short(Mangala, Nasri, Bony) of what we paid for in terms of transfer fees or wages. Being an English player at City is an extra burden ontop of the fee, the less a player has going against him the more chance he has at becoming at a success for us. I just think with a keeper a bad start is harder to come back from than most other positions(de Gea is the exception to the rule and he joined the rags), add the fee, the fact that he's an English hope, the fact that he's moved to City and it starts mount up in terms of pressure. It seems Milner has enjoyed a lot more slack and lot more praise since joining Liverpool to me from the media, he joined on a free to the media darlings being the two key differences.

It's also not whether you or I care that matters it's if it ends up knocking a players confidence if it seems as though they can't do anything right by anyone over the slightest blip over the course of a season. English players(high profile, big fee English players) get that even when they barely make any mistakes(they are magnified more and take longer to be forgotten, they'll be on his back much sooner). Sterling and Stones will continue to get very little praise and over criticised but luckily they seem to have the right mindsets and will hopefully develop thicker skins, they're both looking like good signings for me that will continue to develop. Some players will fall victim to these pressures though and not get a chance find their feet until they move to Bayern Munich or Athletico Madrid for example and show their true quality when they're allowed to flourish.

Anyway it's all opinions isn't it mate, I will get behind him if we do sign him but for the same money I really think we could get better and more experienced(I think they still need to be young and up for a new challenge it doesn't look like Bravo had enough of either of those traits). Keepers are tricky to gauge early on in their careers take Jack Butland for example his hype has died down massively, I'm not saying he's not a good keeper but do you think he will reach the level of a de Gea or Courtois?

Being injured for a year will do that

Pickford is hyped up a lot. They were waxing lyrical about his performance last night against Arsenal but I didn't see any saves I wouldn't expect a keeper to make.

Don't get me wrong he has made some great saves this season but at the minute a routine save by him is rated as world class by the media/Sky. A bit like it was for Butland before his injury. He's a good keeper and flavour of the month. Whether he is world class I'm not sure.

Pickford is hyped up a lot. They were waxing lyrical about his performance last night against Arsenal but I didn't see any saves I wouldn't expect a keeper to make.

Don't get me wrong he has made some great saves this season but at the minute a routine save by him is rated as world class by the media/Sky. A bit like it was for Butland before his injury. He's a good keeper and flavour of the month. Whether he is world class I'm not sure.
There's one in particular in the first half, it was a routine near post catch that he flapped at and put out for a corner. SSN had it on a loop last night with commentary suitable to that Gordon Banks save.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.